Herbie Hancock

Milestones

So does anyone know what's up with Herbie Hancock?  I guess he has done some touring and single concerts here and there, but he seems to have vanished as far as putting out records.  The last one was more than a decade ago, and about the only from the 21st Century that is reasonably noteworthy is River: The Joni Letters.  The man has done plenty of great work in his time, but I certainly wouldn't mind seeing what he could come up with in (very) late career.  

5 hours ago, T.D. said:

Published an autobiography back  in 2014. Pretty high-profile, I got the impression it sold decently...Skimmed through it in a bookshop but didn't purchase. 

A friend bought me a copy of Herbie’s autobio several years ago, and it’s an enjoyable read (been about 5 years ago when I read it).

I saw him only twice in the 80´s , one thing was the acoustic V.S.O.P. and one was something like "Headhunters II" with the original Wah Wah Watson on guitar, but with ex-Miles saxophonist Bill Evans on tenor, also very fine. It was tunes from the old days when we all bought them Headhunters, and at one point Herbie switched from the keyboards to the acoustic piano and played a long solo that was just incredible....the best Hancock I ever heard. 

I missed a thing "Herbie Hancock-Wayne Shorter" some years ago at the Viena Opera House. I think I half missed it half didn´t even intend to go since only p and sax without drums and bass is a bit thin for me, and the Opera is a quite strange surrounding for me. I thought, anyway I had seen Herbie and Wayne with other "full groups". 

I hear you about saxophone and piano.  The Herbie and Wayne record was critically admired, but I only like parts of it and can only take it in small doses.

I feel the same way about People Time by Getz and Barron.

Some individual performances are great, but in general I can only listen to sax/piano duets for a limited time.