Pharoah Sanders – Live At Fabrik Hamburg 1980

HutchFan

Anyone heard this one?

sander_phar_pharoahsa_106b.jpg

with Pharoah Sanders (ts), John Hicks (p), Curtis Lundy (b), and Idris Muhammad (d)

Tracklist:
1 You Gotta Have Freedom
2 It's Easy To Remember
3 Dr. Pitt
4 The Creator Has A Masterplan
5 Greetings To Idris

Due for release in March 2023.

I suppose this is an archival release, technically, rather than a reissue.  But close enough.  ;) 

On 1/1/2023 at 2:23 PM, unitstructures said:

If anyone wants to preview it, the show is available on Sugarmegs:

Pharoah - 6/6/80 - mp3

Lousy bass sound on this one... although typical of that era. Direct bass pickup I assume?

Further listening to that web link and I hear that this was recorded when Pharoah was still doing that random screeching stuff, which I find weird. In my experience, this was better live than it is on this recording. It's like he's playing a regular solo and then just loses his shit for second. :)

This is the same label that's been putting out those Onkel Pös Carnegie Hall recordings.

His tenor sounds beautiful when it's isolated to a degree. It's hard to deny the facility and power Pharoah had. But despite the fact that I enjoy the other three players in general, this music doesn't do anything for me. The linked recording from '86 (not '80) is one I will probably not go back to.