BFT 225 Reveal

felser

Thanks to all who participated!  Happy New Years!

BFT 225 Reveal

1 – LaBelle “Phoenix (The Amazing Flight of a Lone Star)” from ‘Phoenix” Epic 1975

2 – George Benson “The Gentle Rain” from ‘Beyond The Blue Horizon’ CTI 1971

3 – Flora Purim “Case Forte” from ‘Stories to Tell’ Milestone 1974

4 – Stanley Turrentine “Vera Cruz” from ‘The Sugar Man’  CTI 1975.  Also available as a bonus cut on expanded CD of ‘Salt Song’  CTI 1971.

5 – Johnny Mathis “Maria”  from ‘Faithfully’  Columbia 1959

6 – The Pharoahs “Freedom Road”  from ‘Awakening’  Scarab 1971

7 – Laura Nyro “Money” from ‘Smile’ Columbia 1976

8 – Jessica Williams “Heather” from ‘Live at Yoshi’s Vol. 1’ MaxJazz 2004

9 – John Klemmer “Free Love” from ‘Impulse Artists on Tour’ Impulse 1974

10 – Michael White “John Coltrane Was Here” from ‘Spirit Dance’ Impulse 1972

11 – David Axelrod “Holy Thursday” from ‘Songs of Innocence’ Capitol 1968

12 – Rotary Connection “Last Call For Peace” from ‘Peace’ Cadet Concept 1968

13 – Terry Callier “Alley-Wind Song” from ‘I Just Can’t Help Myself’ Cadet 1973

14 – Teena Marie “Light” from ‘Starchild’  Epic 1984

8 hours ago, mjazzg said:

just from the ones I know that's a great tracklisting . 

Sorry I wasn't able to participate, hopefully I will get a chance to listen soon and be introduced to some gems that I don't know.

Happy New Year, John

Thanks Mark, Happy New Year!

Just now, T.D. said:

Thanks again, John.

I enjoyed this BFT, it reminded me to listen to my neglected collection of Jessica Williams recordings, and nostalgia even moved me to purchase a Laura Nyro compilation. 😁

Thanks T.D., so glad you got so much from it, that is rewarding for me!  Happy New Year!

• 2 weeks later...

John, again, my apologies for not posting here sooner as "life" has gotten in the way once again. But this was a FANTASTIC BFT! Thanks so much for putting it together. When I have more time I'm going to go through this again and see what I need to add to the 'buy" pile. I've already bought the LaBelle record. 😎

And I actually got the Michael White correct! Amazing! It was fun to do this on video with Thom... he definitely ID'd a lot more than I did but it was just a blast to listen and talk through it. 

Thanks very much!

2 hours ago, webbcity said:

John, again, my apologies for not posting here sooner as "life" has gotten in the way once again. But this was a FANTASTIC BFT! Thanks so much for putting it together. When I have more time I'm going to go through this again and see what I need to add to the 'buy" pile. I've already bought the LaBelle record. 😎

And I actually got the Michael White correct! Amazing! It was fun to do this on video with Thom... he definitely ID'd a lot more than I did but it was just a blast to listen and talk through it. 

Thanks very much!

Thanks so much Tim, so glad you dig that Labelle cut, which has mesmerized me since it came out in the mid-70's.  The video was a blast!

Just now, felser said:

Thanks so much Tim, so glad you dig that Labelle cut, which has mesmerized me since it came out in the mid-70's.  The video with you and Thom was a blast!

18 minutes ago, webbcity said:

Do you repeat yourself when under stress??

(Let me know if you don't get King Crimson references, but I have a feeling you might... 😉)

I sometimes repeat myself when trying to answer from my $%*& phone instead of my beloved laptop!

6 hours ago, mikeweil said:

I should have participated, l would have ide tified four of the tracks. That Laura Nyro track is from my favourite among her albums, and it was the one that made me love the woman and her music.

Mike, here is what you posted to my BFT 213 reveal last year.  Maybe you can join in for my BFT 237 this coming December?

I should have taken part. The Pointer version of Black Coffee is the best ever, IMO.