Jeff Beck: British guitar legend dies aged 78

sonnymax

Met him when he was in a film I worked on. Didn't realize how popular  he was until after a grueling day  members of the crew began thanking me  for for privilege of  being on a set while he played. (Actually what's in the film was pre-recorded but the group would jam between set-ups. Other musicians were Terry Bozzio-drums, Tony Hymas-keyboards, Jill Avery-bass and the late/great Nicolette Larson-vocals.) .

I did see the Yardbirds at the Marquee Club in 1964 but that was when Clapton was still with them.  I went thinking it was a jazz group because of their name. (I'd been seeing jazz groups there.) 

Edited by medjuck

19 minutes ago, medjuck said:

Met him when he was in a film I worked on. Didn't realize how popular  he was until after a grueling day  members of the crew began thanking me  for for privilege of  being on a set while he played. (Actually what's in the film was pre-recorded but the group would jam between set-ups. Other musicians were Terry Bozzio-drums, Tony Hymas-keyboards, Jill Avery-bass and the late/great Nicolette Larson-vocals.) .

Edited by sonnymax

Sad and pretty shocking news, as the newspapers had only recently been showing him gigging on stage with Johnny Depp and looking fine. RIP.

Never saw him in person but did hear him in person, years ago on the tannoy of the Long Beach Grand Prix doing ‘Star Spangled Banner’ before the start, which I still recall vividly.

47 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

I have not heard him but I think I remember someone told me he even played Mingus´ composition  "Good Bye Pork Pie Hat". Maybe this was around the time Mingus himself recorded it with electric guitars.

Someone on a BBC Radio News tribute just mentioned this - Brian May in fact.

Edited by sidewinder

On 1/12/2023 at 12:44 AM, Gheorghe said:

I have not heard him but I think I remember someone told me he even played Mingus´ composition  "Good Bye Pork Pie Hat". Maybe this was around the time Mingus himself recorded it with electric guitars.

Yes, originally on Wired.

RIP....I liked Beck in many of his guises, starting with The Yardbirds and not forgetting a duet with John McLaughlin on "Django."

Someone cracked on Rod Stewart.  I find Stewart to be a strange case--I love some of his work and despise the rest.  He was pretty good with Beck, most especially on their version of "People Get Ready."

1 hour ago, clifford_thornton said:

Faces/Beck are really all you need when it comes to Stewart. He is excellent in those contexts.

His first three solo albums, up through the epic 1971 'Every Picture Tells a Story', were excellent.  After that, success spoiled him.

On 1/11/2023 at 7:03 PM, felser said:

Sorry to hear this.  Loved his work with the Yardbirds, and some of his early solo stuff (especially the post-hype 'Rough and Ready' album).  RIP.

Rough and Ready is my favorite Jeff Beck album proper. I saw this group from about 20 feet away when I was 14.

I am hard pressed to name another sixties rock guitarist as original, creative, and influential.

1 hour ago, Jim Duckworth said:

I am hard pressed to name another sixties rock guitarist as original, creative, and influential.

I'd say that Hendrix guy, but I'll take Beck over Clapton for originality, and Page's influence was really in the seventies.  Love Peter Green, but he wasn't nearly as influential, largely unknown in USA in the sixties.

Edited by felser