David Crosby - RIP

Kevin Bresnahan

2 hours ago, porcy62 said:

If I could only remember my name is THE rock record of my youth, I still think is the best record of the so-called west coast sound after 45 years. Maybe there are more important records from an historical perspective, but none of them are so enjoyable like IICORMN.

edit: and probably one of the best sounding records of the period.

And amazingly, it got critically shredded when it came out.  I always liked it, and time has caused a serious re-evaluation of it.  Now recognized as the classic it always was.

1 minute ago, felser said:

And amazingly, it got critically shredded when it came out.  I always liked it, and time has caused a serious re-evaluation of it.  Now recognized as the classic it always was.

For instance, Robert Christgau:

David Crosby: If I Could Only Remember My Name [Atlantic, 1971]
This disgraceful performance inspires the first Consumer Guide Competition. The test: Rename David Crosby (he won't know the difference). The prize: One Byrds LP of your choice (he ought to know the difference). The catch: You have to beat my entries. Which are: Rocky Muzak, Roger Crosby, Vaughan Monroe. D-

RIP. Growing up in the 60s, the Byrds and CSN were part of my life. They helped create a sound and a feeling (have to include Buffalo Springfield in there). I seem to recall that he and Graham Nash had a falling out a couple of years ago; I hope they reconciled or made peace before he died. 

On 1/20/2023 at 10:21 AM, jazzbo said:

RIP Croz. I most liked If Only I Could Remember my Name especially for "Cowboy Movie" and the alternate, and his work with Dead members here and there (and as David and the Dorks).

Plus his song "Wooden Ships" is a great one, capsulizing a certain pre-Eagles California sound that I really enjoyed. (Eagles ruined a lot of the California rock sound for me).

The Eagles and like minded groups bastardized that sound. 

I saw them twice, 30 years apart.  July 6, 2006 at the Tweeter Center in Camden, and August 9, 1974 at the Atlantic City Raceway, with Santana and Jesse Colin Young.  That was the Santana band that had the amazing Leon Patillo in it (the 'Borboletta' lineup), and they absolutely blew CSNY off the stage.