• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure how to reconcile

"It's one where if you don't have the record, you will likely NEVER get it."

and

"And yet, it's a very well known player! "

unless its an exceedingly obscure recording, never reissued and barely distributed. 

In other words, perfect for a BFT.

Edited by Dan Gould

9 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

unless its an exceedingly obscure recording, never reissued and barely distributed. 

In other words, perfect for a BFT.

It was released on one of the major jazz labels of its time. 

And yes, it's a perfect BFT item, obviously.

Edited by mikeweil

39 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

NHOP/Kenny Drew on #10?

This thought made me re-listen (and I should kick myself for not thinking of the possibility but I suck at BFTs) ... I didn't think so at first but there's a run starting about 1:30 that does make me think of Drew.

I haven't read any of the prior comments.

1) I know this tune.  Written by Wes M?  I like how the pianist takes his time.  Guitarist sounds a little like Pat Martino.  Very nice and relaxing, has a good groove.

2) I'm guessing the scatter is not the pianist.  Is the pianist Jimmy Rowles?  Nice performance.

3) SQ sounds like the 50's.  I don't know the tune.  It's difficult to make a trumpet trio interesting.  I like the trumpeter; the bassist is a little too on-the-beat.

4) Leader has listened to a lot of Mingus.  Jack Walrath?  Bassist has a good sense of time...unless that's not a bassist.  Bob Stewart on tuba?  Is this all brass?

First 4 tracks: A lot of sense of space.  None can be considered dense.

5) Nice latin groove.  It is Ricky Ford?  Every jazz band should have a conga player.

6) Pretty Brazilian tune.  Reminiscent of Getz/Gilberto.

7) I don't know what language this is.  Singer has a nice voice.  Without knowing the words, I had a hard time relating to it or enjoying it.  Good performance.

8. I like this.  Laid back but insistent.  Sax has a great tone.  Nice front line: sax, trumpet (flugelhorn?), guitar.  Has a nice "Maiden Voyage" vibe.

9) Flute, guitar & piano.  Has a late 50's vibe (also the hard panning).  Also cello!  Chico Hamilton?  I like this.

10) Piano - bass.  Bassist is obviously not afraid of the pianist.  Nice interplay.  I'm curious who they are.  Wish the pianist stepped out more.  Good stuff.

11)  More bass, then baritone.  That's it - a duo?  Huh.  I like the control the bari exhibits - good tone.  Nice arrangement, but could've used more musicians.

12) Nice arrangement.  Very controlled.  Sax sounds like it could bust out, but stays confined.  The bongos give it an exotic feel.  This one surprised me.  Sounds romantic, but with a sinister undertone.

13) Organ only.  Sounds a little sleepy.  Organist has chops, but it didn't do much for me.  What does he sing at the end?

14) Finishing off with a big band.  Kinda berserk big band!  The vibes should be a giveaway, but no one comes to mind.  The vocal sounds more appropriate for Halloween.  Good fun.

Good BFT!  I look forward to the reveal.

Edited by mjzee

Thanks for the nice comments.

The tune of # 1 has already been identified, the Montgomery Brothers had recorded it, too.

The pianist of # 2 is inded Rowles. You never heard him sing?

The vibist of the last track is not a giveaway.  For the rest, enjoy reading the others' comments.