Any new guitarist on the scene worth listen to.

Hardbopjazz

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously not trying to be a "homer", but nobody has mentioned Joe G. Joe is a relatively conservative player with a very fine melodic/harmonic aptitude. I expect a bunch more from him if personal concerns allow. He is a very fine player.

I understand I have heard more of him than most on the list, but he is a player.

Joe has a musical finesse and sensivity that is very compelling. If I ever get to the point where I would want to seriously study jazz guitar (maybe after the next Root Doctor release), there are only two guys I would approach in this state for guidance, inspirations (and if they would have me) jazz lessons. Perry Hughes and Joe Gloss. Perry is hardly new, but I wonder how many people have heard of him.

g

Edited by GregN

I agree about Joe G. When the band came to Martyrs in Chicago -- after Joe warmed up and I tuned in -- I was very impressed. His time feel is special too and inseparable from his melodic/harmonic thinking. At his best he gives me the feeling that I'm hanging on every note, the way Jimmy Raney does or did (though Joe doesn't sound like Raney).

• 2 months later...

Anyone heard Adam Rogers' CDs on Criss Cross and can recommend 'em?

I really like his new one "Apparitions" on Criss Cross. WIth titles like "labyrinth" and "Tyranny of Fixed numbers" you'd think this would be overcomposed and boring. But there's actually a lot of space for solos and for the tunes to breathe. Plus, a great band including Chris Potter and Clarence Penn (I absolutely love Penn's playing--he ensures there's plenty of warmth and fire.)

• 11 months later...

Amanda Monaco -- a challenging guitarist in both straight ahead and more 'out' settings. Reminds me a little of early, early Ray Russell or Atilla Zoller. And of course you have to plug your friends!

I've heard her. :tup

• 1 year later...

Are there any new exciting guitar playes out there play jazz?

Ben Monder, although he certainly has been on the scene for a long time now, but he's finally starting to get recognition. He's an amazing player. His harmonic concept is as vast as the ocean.

monder01.jpg

Other relatively unknown jazz guitarists to check out: Brad Shepik, Kurt Rosenwinkel, Pete McCann, Jeff Parker, Adam Rogers, Liberty Ellman, Mike Moreno, and Nguyen Le. All of these players are amazing are blazing new trails in jazz guitar.

I dig Adam and Brad quite a bit. Ben Monder scares me, frankly.

What scares you about Monder?

A.) What he does as a composer and guitarist is usually pretty far beyond my immediate comprehension.

B.) He's a little bit twisted, from what I've been able to gather.

:)

I dig Adam and Brad quite a bit. Ben Monder scares me, frankly.

What scares you about Monder?

A.) What he does as a composer and guitarist is usually pretty far beyond my immediate comprehension.

B.) He's a little bit twisted, from what I've been able to gather.

:)

I have two autographed cds by him and he's always been so nice to me. He's a really good guy. I talk with him through email quite a bit and he's certainly a fascinating person.

What amazes me about him is his huge chordal vocabulary. I mean it's just unreal what he knows.

Edited by bluemonk

Four years ago when this thread first started I mentioned Phil Robson.

phil2_243x287.jpg

He's gone from strength to strength - I've seen him twice this year, once in a quartet with Dave Liebman, once in a trio matched with string quartet. Seems to play in any context from jazz-rock through free-form improvising to the BBC Big Band!

Seek these on e-music for the breadth of his style - the first conventional jazz guitar a la Jim Hall, the second simply the most convincing jazz-rock record I've heard in years...jazz-rock that takes flight rather than plods.

51NoAy5gyEL._SL500_AA240_.jpg950_max.jpg

Edit:

Just noticed two Robson discs appear on e-music today - one the strings project mentioned above; the other a disc by his partner, Christine Tobin. He's always been a very sympathetic player on her discs:

51rUGQaK7YL._SL500_AA240_.jpg519m9JwzcuL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Edited by Bev Stapleton