Any new guitarist on the scene worth listen to.

Hardbopjazz

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not exactly new to the scene, but a lesser known guitarist I've been way diggin' the past couple years is Brian Seeger, still based in New Orleans (I think). Apparently, it's musical devastation down there in terms of getting enough gigs but guys like Brian and Tim Green are trying to glue it back together again. Gotta support them.

GG is the first person I think of when hearing PB. Better to find a new sound. :(

The comparisons to Grant Green are inevitable (organist Bill Heid jokingly refers to him as Peter Greenstein), but to my ears, Bernstein is much more fluid and has a much bigger "bag of tricks". Grant repeats himself often, sometimes in the same tune.

That's scarey good. Looks like Andreas has listened to a little Barney Kessel and Django.

Django for sure, but the stuff he was doing on the archtop didn't really remind me of Kessel... more like Robert Conti, Jimmy Bruno, etc.... firework city! I have to say, though, that as awesome as his technique is, and as exhilarating as it is to watch (especially for a guitar player with close to no chops ^_^ ), I also find it kind of tiring. Take a breath, for cryin' out loud! :lol:

That's scarey good. Looks like Andreas has listened to a little Barney Kessel and Django.

Django for sure, but the stuff he was doing on the archtop didn't really remind me of Kessel... more like Robert Conti, Jimmy Bruno, etc.... firework city! I have to say, though, that as awesome as his technique is, and as exhilarating as it is to watch (especially for a guitar player with close to no chops ^_^ ), I also find it kind of tiring. Take a breath, for cryin' out loud! :lol:

The obvious question: But can he play a ballad?

Regarding Kessel, I thought the first 1/3 or so of his solo was reminiscient of Kessel, at least in it's overall contour. After that, he does go pretty deep into his bag of tricks and it gets at little less interesting. But what a bag of tricks.

honestly, watching that guy play made me feel like someone was scratching fingernails on a blackboard - reminded me, strangely enough (or maybe not so strangely) of Arturo Sandoval - everything he plays sounds like Flight of the Bumble Bee, same with that guitarist -

Last weekend I played with a guitarist with whom I was previously unfamiliar. His name was Freddie Bryant, and he was outstanding. I guess he's done some things for the Fresh Sound label as well as recorded with Tom Harrell (on Paradise) and Steve Wilson. Real tasty player.

Anyone familiar with this guy? Joe? Jim?

I missed this post first time around. No, I don't believe I've heard of him, but I'll keep an ear out.

I heard Freddy Bryant on a radio broadcast of Ben Riley's tasty Monk tribute. Without a piano - a smart move for a project like this - Bryant was rather present and did fine.

edited for mis-spellink of Bryant's name, sorry!

Edited by king ubu

Flo Stoffner is a good young Swiss guitarist. He plays with Harald Haerter and is on a fine recent disc by Christoph Grab, a local sax player:

lausch_5h.jpg

Those who still have my BFT can hear him on the last tune, Ayler's "Ghost".

Then there's Phillip Schaufelberger, member of Lucas Niggli's band Zoom (also Big Zoom, photo below):

xejniglg.jpg

l.t.r.: Claudio Puntin (clars), Nils Wogram (tb), P.S. (g), Peter Herbert (b), Lucas Niggli (d)

The Zoom band is actually a trio, Wogram-Schaufelberger-Niggli, but Niggli has expanded it for many a project to Big Zoom and other larger formats (also did a meeting with a new music ensemble), playing an interesting blend of composed and improvised music. They have several discs out on the Swiss Intakt label.

honestly, watching that guy play made me feel like someone was scratching fingernails on a blackboard - reminded me, strangely enough (or maybe not so strangely) of Arturo Sandoval - everything he plays sounds like Flight of the Bumble Bee, same with that guitarist -

Hey, it's only one 2:30 minute clip from one song. Besides some "hotshot" horn player probably called the tune and tempo! :D

actually, I listened to three clips of the same guitarist on that page - he really has no feel for the music, in my opinion - his time is all jittery, he falls into patterns, there's no sense of nuance or real expression - which I think is a common problem for musicians whose technique exceeds their deeper understanding of the music - this may change, it may not -

actually, I listened to three clips of the same guitarist on that page - he really has no feel for the music, in my opinion - his time is all jittery, he falls into patterns, there's no sense of nuance or real expression - which I think is a common problem for musicians whose technique exceeds their deeper understanding of the music - this may change, it may not -

That's cool, I only watched to one. I have to go back and watch the other clips.