Eagles 80s Solo Stuff Is Even Worse Than Their Awful Group Stuff From the 70s

Teasing the Korean

I vaguely recall two or three Don Henley quasi-hit singles that I heard on the radio and thought sucked less than the Eagles. Had to check allmusic... "Dirty Laundry" and "Boys of Summer" are in that category. However, the tunes are pretty Eagles-like iirc.

But I never owned any recordings by either.

Edited by T.D.

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

There's no question that the solo releases were awful but the idea that their group recordings are somehow awful is just ludicrous. 

I only know the singles, but yeah, not at all awful. Always expertly done, and the songs are what they are, which sometimes there are good stories there. Even though, sometimes not. But I like "Tequila Sunrise" and "Lyin' Eyes" to this day. That last one has some really dark lyrics, imo.

26 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I only know the singles, but yeah, not at all awful. Always expertly done, and the songs are what they are, which sometimes there are good stories there. Even though, sometimes not. But I like "Tequila Sunrise" and "Lyin' Eyes" to this day. That last one has some really dark lyrics, imo.

For me the Eagles are the first Greatest Hits album and then Hotel California / The Long Run as standalone LPs. Each are extremely good.

OTOH TTK has given me an excuse to re-post my hysterical (to me) "Hitler Reacts" video from several years ago, so thanks for sharing your (foolish) opinion! (The player wasn't loading for me but I discovered you can click on the video for it to play or pause.)

https://www.captiongenerator.com/v/1600902/hitler-reacts-eagles-w-o-glenn-frey

Edited by Dan Gould

The topic goes back to an earlier thread, in which several posters asserted that the Eagles started out by carrying on with the "California sound" but gradually went downhill.

I'm inclined to agree with that, but my only exposure is the singles.

On the other hand, I heard Tom Waits doing "Ol' 55" on the radio the other day, and my knee-jerk reaction was that I preferred the Eagles' rendition (granted I've heard that one a hundred times more often than Waits's). 😄

I didn't really like Frey's You Belong to the City back in the day but when I hear it now I definitely miss how 80s pop would feature sax playing and solos. Always an indicator of that decade. 

I don't hate the Eagles or the solo efforts but I don't play them either. Nonoffensive radio fodder really. A friend of mine loathes them and it cracks me up 

Yeah I just stick with the insufferable prick part and stick to the Eagles.

He had a minor hit with his original solo recording of "Heart of the Matter" but his instincts were terrible - jangly electric guitar. When the group played the tune live with acoustic and Eagle harmony, it was transformed into what it should have been. 

Not awful, but damn am I sick of Hotel California.  Having lived and worked all over the globe, I can say that there doesn't seem to be a single place left that hasn't been infected with that song.   When I would go to see my favorite highlife and Afro-beat bands in Nigeria, they would be sure and dedicate one song to me (their "white brother from another mother"), and it would always be frickin' Hotel California.

When I was living in Alma-Aty, Kazakhstan, we created the only blues band in the country and had a regular gig every Saturday.  One night, a heavily drunk teenager came up to us and requested Hotel California.  We told him that we don't play that song.  After we finished that night, the manager told us that we were fired.  The drunk kid was the son of an Akim (regional political leader) and demanded that we never appear again.  

I could really enjoy the rest of my life without ever coming into contact with that song again. :D

Edited by John L

1 hour ago, John L said:

Not awful, but damn am I sick of Hotel California.  Having lived and worked all over the globe, I can say that there doesn't seem to be a single place left that hasn't been infected with that song.   When I would go to see my favorite highlife and Afro-beat bands in Nigeria, they would be sure and dedicate one song to me (their "white brother from another mother"), and it would always be frickin' Hotel California.

When I was living in Alma-Aty, Kazakhstan, we created the only blues band in the country and had a regular gig every Saturday.  One night, a heavily drunk teenager came up to us and requested Hotel California.  We told him that we don't play that song.  After we finished that night, the manager told us that we were fired.  The drunk kid was the son of an Akim (regional political leader) and demanded that we never appear again.  

I could really enjoy the rest of my life without ever coming into contact with that song again. :D

"Hotel California" certainly seems to get overplayed but maybe not when considering classic rock playlists these days. I swear, most classic rock stations cycle through the same songs every 3 or 4 hours. So while you will hear "Hotel California" quite often, you'll also hear several other songs on repeat.

And BTW, the surround sound version found on the DVD-Audio disc sounds pretty incredible. It's one of those mixes where they put in the middle of the band. It's pretty cool.