Shirley Scott - Queen Talk: Live At The Left Bank

mjzee

Release date April 21:

81qQzPJb5gL._SL1500_.jpg

Queen Talk: Live at the Left Bank is an official never before released concert recording from one of the greatest female jazz organists of all-time, Shirley Scott, featuring a powerhouse trio with George Coleman on tenor saxophone and Bobby Durham on drums, plus special guest vocalist Ernie Andrews on three tracks. This deluxe double CD set was transferred from the original tape reels and features 100 minutes of music packaged in a gatefold sleeve with an extensive 17-page booklet with liner notes by acclaimed music writer A. Scott Galloway; rare photos by Don Schlitten and Raymond Ross, and memorabilia from the Left Bank archives; plus interviews with jazz organ icon Joey DeFrancesco, former Shirley Scott bandmate, saxophonist Tim Warfield, and pianist Monty reminiscing about drummer Bobby Durham. The set is co-produced by label owner musician Cory Weeds and renowned archival recording producer Zev Feldman. The show was recorded at the Famous Ballroom in Baltimore Maryland on August 20, 1972 and hasn't ever been previously available. Philadelphia born Scott rose to fame in the late 1950s playing the Hammond B-3 organ influenced by blues and gospel evolving into '60s soul jazz. She recorded numerous albums for Prestige, Impulse!, Atlantic, Cadet and Candid performing with countless jazz legends including Stanley Turrentine, Oliver Nelson, Eddie Lockjaw Davis, Clark Terry and Kenny Burrell. The 10-track set cooks on songs of the day like By the Time I Get to Phoenix, You Don't Mess Around With Jim, and Never Can Say Goodbye, along with standards such as Smile, Witchcraft and John Coltrane's Impressions.

Bobby Durham....... is it possible he was in one of them Oscar Peterson Trios. I think a not musician youth friend had one album that was titled Tristeza, and I think it was Sam Jones and one Bobby Durham. 

But I do not know enough to have an opinion how he sounds on drums (drummers mostly the first musician I listen to and look at.....) 

I´m not an organ fan at all, but have one or two of Jimmy Smith with famous hornplayers like Mobley, Lou Donaldson or Donald Byrd or Lee Morgan.

But George Coleman sure sounds nice with anybody. As @felser said, I heard too many Left Bank live sessions with really weak recording sound. 

On 2/12/2023 at 12:59 AM, mikeweil said:

Scott without a bass player is promising.

Yes, if in general I´m not a big organ fan, at least I like it if a good organist plays the bass lines (I don´t know ..... are they doing it with the foot pedals ? ) . But to combine a hammond organ with a regular bass is strange. I think I heard it once on an Ike Quebec album with something with Blue and Sentimental and nice ballads, but I couldn´t become friend with the organ-acoustic bass combination. 

44 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

But to combine a hammond organ with a regular bass is strange. I think I heard it once on an Ike Quebec album with something with Blue and Sentimental and nice ballads, but I couldn´t become friend with the organ-acoustic bass combination. 

Several Jack McDuff albums have uncredited bass players. He makes it work, but I generally prefer to hear the B3 bass lines. 

16 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Bass pedals are cool. . .contrabass violins and electric bass are more intriguing to me.

Well, that´s why I never work without an acoustic bass or during the time when I played jazz rock, an electric bass, but the rare occasion where I listen to let´s say "A Date with Jimmy Smith" or "The Sermon" I enjoy the organ bass line. 

• 2 months later...

I need to find decent length clips to be sold on this one. I found an AllAboutJazz review and there are some warning signs for me in there:

There are lots of long hot-tempered lines and squealing by Coleman

That's exactly the Coleman that doesn't make me excited to spend $25 on two CDs. I know my mileage is very different from others ... 🤐