Kenny Barron's "Scene Is Clean"

Hardbopjazz

Looking at discogs, it seems to be a reissue of a 1982 Tadd Dameron tribute Mad About Tadd by a group called Continuum (including Kenny Barron). I've considered buying the 2003 CD release of that name, but never did.

Claims to have been recorded at Van Gelder Studio and mixed at Fantasy Studios. Allmusic says it was released on an obscure independent label.

The original LP releases were on the Quicksilver and Palo Alto labels, both based in California, but I know nothing of those labels.

Mystery to me. Might be an interesting story behind it (Van Gelder Studio?). I think it's probably legit, but am not certain.

Edited by T.D.

I have not heard about those labels. But Dameron tunes were always nice. "The Scene is Clean" I first heard on a Max Roach-Clifford Brown LP, the original Tadd Dameron sides were hard to find. 
I heard Pharoah Sanders play some music from the Dameron-Coltrane-date, also around 1982-85 I think. 
In general I love his compositions until the 50´s but found that later he had smoothed out, the stuff he composed when he himself couldn´t play anymore with his own band didn´t have the "bite" that had "Our Delight" or "Hot House" etc. 

I have this record and while I haven't played it in a while, I remember it being pretty good. Not a fan of the cover art though. It seems fitting that the artist, Rich Sigberman, also does artwork for children's books.

11 hours ago, mjzee said:

Palo Alto and Quicksilver were both legit labels, both owned by Herb Wong.  

i-img1196x1200-16317645065zpkbh20.jpg&f=

Herb Wong died in 2014. I wonder who is running the Quicksilver label now?