RSD Releases

Brad

1 hour ago, bresna said:

Holy cow, that Stitt at Bubba's stuff has seen a few releases over the years. :)

You know, I've seen a few of these and never thought to pick it up.

BTW - Jaws only plays on track 6 & Edison only plays on tracks 3 & 6.

PrimaryPrimary

Primary

Primary

Primary

Primary

Primary

PrimaryPrimary

You went to a lot of effort to prove its been on LP since the original release, and I salute you.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

You went to a lot of effort to prove its been on LP since the original release, and I salute you.

Not really: https://www.discogs.com/master/351706-Sonny-Stitt-Sonnys-Last-Recordings

Just click each picture, right mouse click the cover photo, copy and paste. Took a few seconds tops. :)

BTW - I didn't even include the original cover. :)

Primary

WEA has some interesting releases, a live 1978 Captain Beefheart, a live 1981 Stevie Nicks, a 5-LP Nuggets including the compiled but unreleased Nuggets 2 (new notes by Lenny Kaye).  I don't buy vinyl, but am in for any later CD releases of the Beefheart and the Nicks.  And maybe the Nuggets, depending how much it is duplicated by the incredible 1998 4-CD Rhino box set.  That one should be in every home.

4 hours ago, felser said:

WEA has some interesting releases, a live 1978 Captain Beefheart, a live 1981 Stevie Nicks, a 5-LP Nuggets including the compiled but unreleased Nuggets 2 (new notes by Lenny Kaye).  I don't buy vinyl, but am in for any later CD releases of the Beefheart and the Nicks.  And maybe the Nuggets, depending how much it is duplicated by the incredible 1998 4-CD Rhino box set.  That one should be in every home.

I don’t have the original Nuggets but the RSD looks like a straight reissue of the original. 

1 hour ago, Brad said:

I don’t have the original Nuggets but the RSD looks like a straight reissue of the original. 

Here's my source, this site is my go-to for rock/pop reissue news:

https://theseconddisc.com/2023/02/21/sit-down-i-think-i-love-you-rhinos-rsd-lineup-includes-grateful-dead-dio-stevie-nicks-todd-rundgren-madonna-and-more-nuggets/

Nuggets: Original Artyfacts from the First Psychedelic Era (1964-1968) [50th Anniversary Box] (5-LP boxed set, limited to 10,000 copies)

50th anniversary of the groundbreaking and influential compilation of the first generation of psychedelic artists curated by Lenny Kaye. This box set includes the original 2-LP set, the planned but unreleased Vol. 2, and a single LP of songs that were considered for the original set but didn't make the final cut. Like the original, this set is curated by Lenny Kaye with the full involvement of Jac Holzman - the original pioneers of Nuggets. Lenny has also written new, complete notes.

37 minutes ago, felser said:

Here's my source, this site is my go-to for rock/pop reissue news:

https://theseconddisc.com/2023/02/21/sit-down-i-think-i-love-you-rhinos-rsd-lineup-includes-grateful-dead-dio-stevie-nicks-todd-rundgren-madonna-and-more-nuggets/

Nuggets: Original Artyfacts from the First Psychedelic Era (1964-1968) [50th Anniversary Box] (5-LP boxed set, limited to 10,000 copies)

50th anniversary of the groundbreaking and influential compilation of the first generation of psychedelic artists curated by Lenny Kaye. This box set includes the original 2-LP set, the planned but unreleased Vol. 2, and a single LP of songs that were considered for the original set but didn't make the final cut. Like the original, this set is curated by Lenny Kaye with the full involvement of Jac Holzman - the original pioneers of Nuggets. Lenny has also written new, complete notes.

I did a comparison of the songs listed on the RSD site vs the Original version and they were the same. For some reason RSD listed the songs for the first two LPs but not the other three.  However, a French member at Hoffman found all the songs on a French site, VARIOUS ARTISTS – NUGGETS – 50TH ANNIVERSARY BOX

The above, by the way, is the same blurb that appears on the RSD site. 

Edited by Brad

It’s funny that they’re rereleasing Todd Rundgren’s A Wizard A True Star.  That thing’s almost 60 minutes, and was heavily compressed for its original release (and very prone to skipping).  Would have been much better to release it over 3 or 4 sides and remix it.

On 2/24/2023 at 11:02 AM, mjzee said:

Walter Bishop Jr., not Walter Davis.

One single, Willow Weep for Me, from this project has just turned up on various streaming services, which is a good sign that the whole thing will likely be released that way.  Whether there will be a CD release isn't as clear.

1 hour ago, ejp626 said:

One single, Willow Weep for Me, from this project has just turned up on various streaming services, which is a good sign that the whole thing will likely be released that way.  Whether there will be a CD release isn't as clear.

The Bishop set is available for pre-ordering as a cd. 

For those not on Cory Weeds' email list, his Condition Blue radio show will feature tunes from the Shirley Scott and Walter Bishop releases this Wed 3-5 pm and I presume its Pacific Time since its out of Vancouver, BC.

https://thebeaumontstudios.com/bside-radio/?ml_subscriber=2159967326382853741&ml_subscriber_hash=l9k7&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=the_cellar_sound_whirlwind&utm_term=2023-02-27

I never saw so many Sonny Stitt recordings. 
I must admit my Stitt-discography is quite scarce. I heard him very very early when the record dealer recommended it to me since it has Bud on it and as all Bud records I like those most who have a horn player added. 
The Verve Years was not necessary what impressed me most. I think I heard one "Stitt for Starters" once at a friends place and he was delighted when I recognized Freddie Green on guitar. He had the record but had not read who is on it and when I said "Freddie Green is playiing" he looked at the personnel and said "f.... yeah !" 

The only time I saw Stitt live was in 1980 and I had caught a bad night. I witnessed a very ridiculous thing, about the way I had read only in "scandal story books of jazz" like some bizarre stories about Bird or Bud  when they were completly stoned or drunk.....hard to listen to and hard to look at.....

Shepp at Massy I have. I think I bought it in a small bus at some jazz festival where they sold records...

I still have not understood what it is  with Bird playing Afro Cuban. I have the quite weak "Fiesta" on Verve and I have some air shots of Bird with Machito on a Spotlite LP, and there is some little compositions like "Barbados" which is latin influenced but gets into swing as early as the solos start.....
So what´s that unissued concert of Bird playing Latin only ? 

On 2/23/2023 at 4:01 AM, Brad said:

I'm after one mentioned here sometime and which is from 1998, which has the original Nuggets and is expanded by something more. What exactly I don't know. But it has new liners by Lenny Kaye again.

• 1 month later...