BFT 228

randyhersom

Not getting caught off guard this month, damn it!  :D

Track 01 - This one did not start well for me.  I recognized Lush Life immediately, but my mind was pre-programmed to think bari sax.  It was near the end of the intro when I realized it's a bassoon.  I only know a handful of folks who even play that instrument (all are no longer with us, I've just realized).  Points for something different, but not my favorite version of the tune.

Track 02 - A Child is Born.  A worthy time to mention Thad Jones was an incredible musician who doesn't get nearly enough credit.  This is not Thad, but a very nice version, nonetheless.  Underwhelmed by the arrangement, but you can't really hurt a great tune.  

Track 03 - Obviously Nuke.  Song is... gah!  I recognize it from a radio show that used to air in Maine where this *strange* cat would play songs from the Hot 100 by decade for the corresponding week.  I forget the name, but the version it conjurs was this horrid vocal dripping with schmaltzy strings.  Much prefer this version.  Is there ANY tune Rollins didn't know?  Wynton Kelly on piano?  Gotta be Max, doesn't it?  That brushwork.

Track 04 - The sound of this recording is a special brand of brutal.  Sure sounds like Gene Ammons.  Yeah, I'll commit, now way that's not Gene.  

Track 05 - A Flower Is A Lovesome Thing.  The piano works for me, but the alto is a struggle.  There are intonation issues and a case of the scoopsies.  Piano lost me a bit during the solo.  Playing behind the alto on the head, I was thinking Randy Weston was a possibility, but not once we got to the solo.  These have to be regional players.  

Track 06 - Where?  Or When?  The sexophone.  That's Carlos, for sure.  For years I couldn't get to this guy (partly becuase it  was "old", partly because I had the Black Lion stuff).  Then I heard A Tribute to Cannonball.  That did it.  Once I got past the "old" mindset, I realized just what a beast this guy was.

Track 07 - I think people forget how beautiful Dolphy tone really was.  Even tender.  ;) Every time I slide these out of the jacket I get to re-experience the discovery of Eric.  Such a unique voice, and on three instruments.  Another guy we haven't caught up to.

Track 08 - Now THIS is an arrangement.  Not fully sold on the vocalist, but that's a common occurrence.  Teases Eckstine at points, but doesn't seem to have his power (but, as it goes on, heck, could be him).  Big vocal flourish at the end, but wish he'd get out of the way of that band.

Track 09 - Solitude.  A nod to Duke just shy of the one minute mark, but this isn't Duke.  Ah, there we go.  Fatha Hines.  One of the first people of that era I got into, mostly because of a record where someone says, mid-solo, "Fatha Hines, you dirty old man!"  13-year-old me just thought that was great. My mind says that was Jimmy Rushing saying it, but I could be out to lunch on that. #whateverworks

Track 10 - Wasn't sure at first, but once we get into the tempo section, that's Ornette. I think Haden was a clue.  This has to be a personal recording (of the musicians).  It's plenty raw and plenty real, and the sound quality is awful (seemingly a trait of a lot of really terrific music).  Is there an Ellington thread underlying this BFT?  I swear Charlie just quoted I Got It Bad.

Track 11 - Nice.  I was hoping to hear guitar with this when the trumpet first came in.  Something brought me instantly to Shepp's Mariamar, which has to be one of my favorite obscure records.  Brushes.  Man, love this.  Waiting on some bass, but I'm not going to get it. Those BRUSHES!  My brain was saying Bill Dixon, but I went to sleuth and realized my mind had the wrong guy (face wasn't right), then I realized, no, Wadada.  I don't have this and I need to fix that.  Can't get enough of those brushes!  Not Motian, but at least as expressive.  Guitarist isn't blowing me away, but really doesn't need to.  He's (or she's) doing just what's needed.  Love this.  Don't break my spirit and tell me it's Metheny (can't be; he can surprise me, but not like this).  This is some serious music (serious as your life).  

Track 12 - I'm in at the bass.  Recorded down a hallway?  Theme is terrific music with awful sound!  What do I win!?  This is also some serious shit.  Maybe a tick below the last cut, but the drummer is putting nice color in around the bass.  The bass is just, ideal.  I want to say Smiley Winters on drums.  A lot of names come to mind for the bass, but none of them are right.  Only thing I know for sure is it's not Tim Webb, but he can certainly get there. I know the trumpet player, but only as one of the avant garde guys who plays with a lot of guys in my collection.  I can't get to a name.  This is not background music.  Another score, Randy!   Nick DiGeronimo keeps popping into my mind as the bassist, but that's wrong.  AH!  Mid-solo, it hits me!  Dyani!  Of course!  So, not Smiley, but I can't get a name.  Likely one of those bands of those fringe guys.  I can never remember the names and don't want to butcher them.  One ends in ezi (and I'm not proud of that being the ping, but that's the liffe of a dyslexic).

Track 13 - Some making an impression.  Something about the attack of the notes is Clarke Terry adjacent.  Booker Ervin, for sure.  So, that could be Han Bennink on drums.  Has that busy, snappy thing he does going on.  Ah!  A clue! (as Spenser would say).  That's Horace Parlan, for sure.  Grant Green.  Okay, it's from this.  Shame on me for suggesting Bennink here.  

Track 14 - Torn.  First thought was Wadada, again, but something is pushing me toward Lester.  Might be too recent to be Lester, though.  Drummer is definitely teasing that remix thing.  It works, but it always confuses me when a drummer works to sound like a machine.  Not sure on the organ, but he's not shy.  This works, but it's not subtle.  

Track 15 - Instantly I'm pushed to Sun Ra.  Combination of the sound, the activity, and the friggin' swing!  Oh yeah, no doubt once the keys come in strong.  I don't think that's Pat Patrick.  I know it's one of the early ones -- is it Angels and Demons?  Always forget who the other bari player is on that.    

Track 16 - Oh, no you didn't.  College radio station had this.  Bought the CD when I was living in Pittsburgh.  This tune is an absolute bitch.  An exercise in simplicity, but man, does it groove.  And I mean the tune.  The version is in its own universe (even among their versions), but the tune just plays itself.  This was in my Fake Book I got when I was like 13, but I didn't hear it until I got to college and worked at the radio station (8 years later -- don't judge me).  

Lotta ground covered here.  Some of the transitions were a bit jarring, but nothing that made me want to throw the speaker.  Speaking of which, if you're stuck on the computer too much and/or mobile a lot, the Walla Sound bluetooth speaker is pretty impressive.  Let's be clear, it's not Sonos, but at $50, I don't think you're going to find anything close.  Just my 2¢.

Thanks for the ear candy, Randy!

Had to re-listen to Odwalla immediately.  Man!  Malachi and Famoudou lay that down with such AUTHORITY!  Bad MFs!

BFT 228

1 –9, Very laid back, a lot of standards, #7 is my favorite performance in the bunch.    I’m not turned off by these, but not drawn to them either (they sink comfortably into background music for me), and don’t have anything very interesting to say about them. 

10 – What I enjoy on this cut is the bass player accompanying the sax player (bass solo doesn’t do as much for me).

11 – Just not my thing.

12 – I do like this, first one I could see myself returning to.  Ted Daniel did some things like this.

13 – Finally some familiar territory in my wheelhouse, lovin’ the cut!  Pretty sure I have it, will have to think of what it is.  Everything about the cut is great from my point of view.  Grant Green?  Blue Note? 60’s?

14 – Works for me, post-Bitches Brew obviously.  Like it a lot, and looking forward to the reveal.  Love the trumpet.  Not as sold on the keyboards, but it works overall.

15 – Like this, also.  Having trouble placing it timewise.  Some elements of the sophisticated 50’s arrangers, but the Rhodes places it likely in the 70’s. 

16 – Grew on me as the set progressed, I enjoy that style of bass and drum playing so much.  I could see picking this up, and doubt I have it.

All’s well that ends well, sort of  a progression of styles as the cuts went on, and I got on the bus at cut 12 and stayed on.  Looking forward to the reveals on the last five cuts.

Postscript after Thom's ID's:  I have #13 and #16, and so glad I do.

This was a surprisingly (mostly) laid back BFT. Once again we had quite a few at the start that were at least enjoyable.  In the end, and as might be expected, I am (mostly) the opposite of Felser's reactions. 😜

The first 6-7 plus #9 I enjoyed most and wouldn't call "background" music. But then I saw (increasingly) reduced returns after that. OK, everything after the best in the bunch, the Blue Note classic era track - had no doubt that was Grant Green.  

I'll also add I hate-hate-hated the big band vocal of "Somewhere" - really dislike the tune and the singer did nada for me, didn't even really think it was a recognizable jazz guy.

Thanks Randy!

1.     I thought this was going to be a solo baritone piece, which is quite a rarity.  The tune is “Lush Life.”  Bluiett?  Really can’t say who it is.

2.     “A Child is Born.”  Nice trumpet, but does not really sound like Thad.  But now the subtle big band comes in, so this is starting to sound like Thad/Mel.  I don’t think of Thad as playing this mellow.  The arrangement is quite nice.

3.     Sonny Rollins…no mistaking that.  This is “How are Things in Glocca Mora,” with a wonderful lead-in by Donald Byrd.

4.     Nice tenor solo in big band setting, but I’m not good at identifying this stuff unless it’s Basie or Ellington.

5.     Is that “Lotus Blossom”?  Something by Strayhorn. It sounds a bit like Joe Henderson in his whispery ballad mode, but not as distinctive as Joe.

6.     “Where or When.”  This is a lovely tune, and it’s either Ben Webster or someone indebted to him.  

7.     This must be Eric Dolphy, playing relatively conservatively. Like Coltrane, he knew and loved the standards and sometimes played them in accessible fashion.  Of course, this is a bit different by being solo. I think it’s “Tenderly.”

8.     “Over the Rainbow,” sounding a bit operatic.  I briefly thought Johnny Hartman, but no…I don’t think so.

9.     I’m still not much of a solo piano guy, other than Tyner and Weston.  But this is nice relaxed piece.  It runs pretty long and seems to be in a 1930’s style, but certainly much more recent.  Jaki Byard?  But I doubt it, since Jaki usually shifts tempos and styles a great deal.  Then again?  Interesting coda.

10. I knew this within seconds: Ornette and Charlie Haden playing “Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman.”  An unlikely vehicle, but quite enjoyable.  I hold the Soapsuds album in very high esteem; it should be regarded as essential Ornette.

11. This has to be Ron Miles with Bill Frisell and Brian Blade.  I have some of these records and enjoy them, but I thought they would be more impressive. I do like this choice, though I can’t name it.

12. A long performance, dominated by bass and trumpet.  A bit on the free side.  Enjoyable enough, but  I don’t recognize the artists.

13. That’s Miles or a serious imitator. The tune sounds familiar, but I can’t place it.  The tenor sounds like Booker Ervin, so then it’s not Miles.  This one has me baffled, as I would expect Booker to solo first.  So he’s a sideman? Oh man, now that’s Grant Green on guitar.  But I still don’t know the tune or album.

14. That’s some cool trumpet and organ.  Lester Bowie seems like a decent guess.  I have some of his work in this vein, but not this track.  Maybe I’m mistaken about Bowie, but I think it must be him or someone quite similar—and who is similar?

15. Pepper Adams on baritone?  Electric piano solo.  Can’t make a guess here.

16. More baritone, or some kind of low instrument.  I like that loping bass.  I’m thinking of Art Ensemble of Chicago when they play in a more accessible mode, so that’s my very uncertain guess.   

First half takeaways for me: 

1. no guesses. Pleasant tune though
2. Nice song. Later Gerald Wilson maybe? 
3. Sounds familiar but no guesses. Good, laid back playing. 
4. Reverb, baby. Love it for the character here. The last 2 songs had top notch production so grit is a nice change of pace. Favorite track so far. Sounds like a classic band or at least legendary players. 
5. So far I'm enjoying the intros to these songs, this one included. Gentle approach from the sax here. No percussion helps focus on the interplay in this one. This BFT is almost like a soundtrack to an early spring creeping around the corner. 
6. Probably someone obvious on sax. Old school. Hawkins? Or if not, Ammons? 
7. Oh man, sounds like another obvious sax player that I don't immediately recognize. Almost comes across as effortless. 
8. Somewhere over the rainbow...no guesses

Will be back for 9-16 later. Thanks for putting this together. 

So that is Art Ensemble on the final track...I guessed well.  Maybe I need to check them out further.  And it would seem to be Sun Ra on #15.  I have been iffy on Sun Ra, but there is some good work from the early days; I was checking out his stuff a few months back.  I might have this track, but I can't place it.   

Love the inclusion of Dolphy.  He continually goes up in my estimation.  "Tenderly" is from Far Cry, an excellent album which features Booker Little on several tracks, plus Jaki Byard, Ron Carter, and Roy Haynes...now that's a band! 

By the way, I found this to be a highly enjoyable BFT.

Edited by Milestones

9 hours ago, tkeith said:

Not getting caught off guard this month, damn it!  :D

Track 01 - This one did not start well for me.  I recognized Lush Life immediately, but my mind was pre-programmed to think bari sax.  It was near the end of the intro when I realized it's a bassoon.  I only know a handful of folks who even play that instrument (all are no longer with us, I've just realized).  Points for something different, but not my favorite version of the tune.

Yes a Bassoon

Track 02 - A Child is Born.  A worthy time to mention Thad Jones was an incredible musician who doesn't get nearly enough credit.  This is not Thad, but a very nice version, nonetheless.  Underwhelmed by the arrangement, but you can't really hurt a great tune.  

:D:D:D:D:D

Track 03 - Obviously Nuke.  Song is... gah!  I recognize it from a radio show that used to air in Maine where this *strange* cat would play songs from the Hot 100 by decade for the corresponding week.  I forget the name, but the version it conjurs was this horrid vocal dripping with schmaltzy strings.  Much prefer this version.  Is there ANY tune Rollins didn't know?  Wynton Kelly on piano?  Gotta be Max, doesn't it?  That brushwork.

Got the band.  Tune ID'ed below 

Track 04 - The sound of this recording is a special brand of brutal.  Sure sounds like Gene Ammons.  Yeah, I'll commit, now way that's not Gene.  

Jug

Track 05 - A Flower Is A Lovesome Thing.  The piano works for me, but the alto is a struggle.  There are intonation issues and a case of the scoopsies.  Piano lost me a bit during the solo.  Playing behind the alto on the head, I was thinking Randy Weston was a possibility, but not once we got to the solo.  These have to be regional players.  

:D:D:D:D:D

(Tune Correct.  Not Randy)

Track 06 - Where?  Or When?  The sexophone.  That's Carlos, for sure.  For years I couldn't get to this guy (partly becuase it  was "old", partly because I had the Black Lion stuff).  Then I heard A Tribute to Cannonball.  That did it.  Once I got past the "old" mindset, I realized just what a beast this guy was.

Tune and horn correct.  Knew you knew Don Byas because of the album title you dropped.  Had to Wikipedia to find out he was born Carlos.

Track 07 - I think people forget how beautiful Dolphy tone really was.  Even tender.  ;) Every time I slide these out of the jacket I get to re-experience the discovery of Eric.  Such a unique voice, and on three instruments.  Another guy we haven't caught up to.

Player and tune correct

Track 08 - Now THIS is an arrangement.  Not fully sold on the vocalist, but that's a common occurrence.  Teases Eckstine at points, but doesn't seem to have his power (but, as it goes on, heck, could be him).  Big vocal flourish at the end, but wish he'd get out of the way of that band.

Not Mr. B

Track 09 - Solitude.  A nod to Duke just shy of the one minute mark, but this isn't Duke.  Ah, there we go.  Fatha Hines.  One of the first people of that era I got into, mostly because of a record where someone says, mid-solo, "Fatha Hines, you dirty old man!"  13-year-old me just thought that was great. My mind says that was Jimmy Rushing saying it, but I could be out to lunch on that. #whateverworks

Player and tune correct

Track 10 - Wasn't sure at first, but once we get into the tempo section, that's Ornette. I think Haden was a clue.  This has to be a personal recording (of the musicians).  It's plenty raw and plenty real, and the sound quality is awful (seemingly a trait of a lot of really terrific music).  Is there an Ellington thread underlying this BFT?  I swear Charlie just quoted I Got It Bad.

I own this on LP and bought the CD, but accidentally got it shipped to my old address.  So the sound quality is because I got it from YouTube.  The sax quote influenced me toward this track, but wasn't 100% sure what  Ornette was quoting.  This is a commercially released recording.

Track 11 - Nice.  I was hoping to hear guitar with this when the trumpet first came in.  Something brought me instantly to Shepp's Mariamar, which has to be one of my favorite obscure records.  Brushes.  Man, love this.  Waiting on some bass, but I'm not going to get it. Those BRUSHES!  My brain was saying Bill Dixon, but I went to sleuth and realized my mind had the wrong guy (face wasn't right), then I realized, no, Wadada.  I don't have this and I need to fix that.  Can't get enough of those brushes!  Not Motian, but at least as expressive.  Guitarist isn't blowing me away, but really doesn't need to.  He's (or she's) doing just what's needed.  Love this.  Don't break my spirit and tell me it's Metheny (can't be; he can surprise me, but not like this).  This is some serious music (serious as your life).  

Trumpet Correct.  No other names mentioned found on this recording.

Track 12 - I'm in at the bass.  Recorded down a hallway?  Theme is terrific music with awful sound!  What do I win!?  This is also some serious shit.  Maybe a tick below the last cut, but the drummer is putting nice color in around the bass.  The bass is just, ideal.  I want to say Smiley Winters on drums.  A lot of names come to mind for the bass, but none of them are right.  Only thing I know for sure is it's not Tim Webb, but he can certainly get there. I know the trumpet player, but only as one of the avant garde guys who plays with a lot of guys in my collection.  I can't get to a name.  This is not background music.  Another score, Randy!   Nick DiGeronimo keeps popping into my mind as the bassist, but that's wrong.  AH!  Mid-solo, it hits me!  Dyani!  Of course!  So, not Smiley, but I can't get a name.  Likely one of those bands of those fringe guys.  I can never remember the names and don't want to butcher them.  One ends in ezi (and I'm not proud of that being the ping, but that's the liffe of a dyslexic).

Awesome job, I considered this the biggest challenge to ID.  It is Dyani and ezi.  I had some belief that this trio was the first to record and commercially release a Trumpet, Bass and Drums trio, but Mike educated me otherwise last BFT.

Track 13 - Some making an impression.  Something about the attack of the notes is Clarke Terry adjacent.  Booker Ervin, for sure.  So, that could be Han Bennink on drums.  Has that busy, snappy thing he does going on.  Ah!  A clue! (as Spenser would say).  That's Horace Parlan, for sure.  Grant Green.  Okay, it's from this.  Shame on me for suggesting Bennink here.  

Album correct.  This is here because of a couple phrases by the trumpet that absolutely kill me.  Listen to the slurred, bent wail about 00:36 in, then referenced again about 01:37.  It probably participates in the most jarring transitions of the BFT, but I simply couldn't leave it out.

Track 14 - Torn.  First thought was Wadada, again, but something is pushing me toward Lester.  Might be too recent to be Lester, though.  Drummer is definitely teasing that remix thing.  It works, but it always confuses me when a drummer works to sound like a machine.  Not sure on the organ, but he's not shy.  This works, but it's not subtle.  

Trumpet is one of the two mentioned.

Track 15 - Instantly I'm pushed to Sun Ra.  Combination of the sound, the activity, and the friggin' swing!  Oh yeah, no doubt once the keys come in strong.  I don't think that's Pat Patrick.  I know it's one of the early ones -- is it Angels and Demons?  Always forget who the other bari player is on that.    

Artist and album correct.

Track 16 - Oh, no you didn't.  College radio station had this.  Bought the CD when I was living in Pittsburgh.  This tune is an absolute bitch.  An exercise in simplicity, but man, does it groove.  And I mean the tune.  The version is in its own universe (even among their versions), but the tune just plays itself.  This was in my Fake Book I got when I was like 13, but I didn't hear it until I got to college and worked at the radio station (8 years later -- don't judge me).  

Album correct.  Correct tune mentioned by you on your fadeout.

Lotta ground covered here.  Some of the transitions were a bit jarring, but nothing that made me want to throw the speaker.  Speaking of which, if you're stuck on the computer too much and/or mobile a lot, the Walla Sound bluetooth speaker is pretty impressive.  Let's be clear, it's not Sonos, but at $50, I don't think you're going to find anything close.  Just my 2¢.

Thanks for the ear candy, Randy!

Had to re-listen to Odwalla immediately.  Man!  Malachi and Famoudou lay that down with such AUTHORITY!  Bad MFs!

Thanks to Felser and Dan Gould for the impressions.  Glad to have accomplished WWFL and WWDL in the same BFT.

6 hours ago, Milestones said:

1.     I thought this was going to be a solo baritone piece, which is quite a rarity.  The tune is “Lush Life.”  Bluiett?  Really can’t say who it is.

Tune correct

2.     “A Child is Born.”  Nice trumpet, but does not really sound like Thad.  But now the subtle big band comes in, so this is starting to sound like Thad/Mel.  I don’t think of Thad as playing this mellow.  The arrangement is quite nice.

That's the band, pretty sure Thad is the soloist.  Tune correct.  Shout out to Roland Hanna on piano too.

3.     Sonny Rollins…no mistaking that.  This is “How are Things in Glocca Mora,” with a wonderful lead-in by Donald Byrd.

Artist and tune correct.

4.     Nice tenor solo in big band setting, but I’m not good at identifying this stuff unless it’s Basie or Ellington.

5.     Is that “Lotus Blossom”?  Something by Strayhorn. It sounds a bit like Joe Henderson in his whispery ballad mode, but not as distinctive as Joe.

Yes, by Strayhorn, Thom correct on tune above.

6.     “Where or When.”  This is a lovely tune, and it’s either Ben Webster or someone indebted to him.  

Horn identified obliquely above, tune correct.

7.     This must be Eric Dolphy, playing relatively conservatively. Like Coltrane, he knew and loved the standards and sometimes played them in accessible fashion.  Of course, this is a bit different by being solo. I think it’s “Tenderly.”

Artist and tune correct

8.     “Over the Rainbow,” sounding a bit operatic.  I briefly thought Johnny Hartman, but no…I don’t think so.

Tune correct

9.     I’m still not much of a solo piano guy, other than Tyner and Weston.  But this is nice relaxed piece.  It runs pretty long and seems to be in a 1930’s style, but certainly much more recent.  Jaki Byard?  But I doubt it, since Jaki usually shifts tempos and styles a great deal.  Then again?  Interesting coda.

10. I knew this within seconds: Ornette and Charlie Haden playing “Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman.”  An unlikely vehicle, but quite enjoyable.  I hold the Soapsuds album in very high esteem; it should be regarded as essential Ornette.

Absolutely correct.

11. This has to be Ron Miles with Bill Frisell and Brian Blade.  I have some of these records and enjoy them, but I thought they would be more impressive. I do like this choice, though I can’t name it.

One of the three musicians mentioned is on this track.

12. A long performance, dominated by bass and trumpet.  A bit on the free side.  Enjoyable enough, but  I don’t recognize the artists.

13. That’s Miles or a serious imitator. The tune sounds familiar, but I can’t place it.  The tenor sounds like Booker Ervin, so then it’s not Miles.  This one has me baffled, as I would expect Booker to solo first.  So he’s a sideman? Oh man, now that’s Grant Green on guitar.  But I still don’t know the tune or album.

Booker indeed, and Grant too.  Thom's "this" link correctly identifies the album

14. That’s some cool trumpet and organ.  Lester Bowie seems like a decent guess.  I have some of his work in this vein, but not this track.  Maybe I’m mistaken about Bowie, but I think it must be him or someone quite similar—and who is similar?

15. Pepper Adams on baritone?  Electric piano solo.  Can’t make a guess here.

16. More baritone, or some kind of low instrument.  I like that loping bass.  I’m thinking of Art Ensemble of Chicago when they play in a more accessible mode, so that’s my very uncertain guess.   

Artist correct.

Man this is fun!

7 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

First half takeaways for me: 

1. no guesses. Pleasant tune though
2. Nice song. Later Gerald Wilson maybe? 
3. Sounds familiar but no guesses. Good, laid back playing. 
4. Reverb, baby. Love it for the character here. The last 2 songs had top notch production so grit is a nice change of pace. Favorite track so far. Sounds like a classic band or at least legendary players. 
5. So far I'm enjoying the intros to these songs, this one included. Gentle approach from the sax here. No percussion helps focus on the interplay in this one. This BFT is almost like a soundtrack to an early spring creeping around the corner. 
6. Probably someone obvious on sax. Old school. Hawkins? Or if not, Ammons? 
7. Oh man, sounds like another obvious sax player that I don't immediately recognize. Almost comes across as effortless. 
8. Somewhere over the rainbow...no guesses

Will be back for 9-16 later. Thanks for putting this together. 

Thanks for the feedback so far.  You called a correct tune on 8.

5 hours ago, BillF said:

Track 4: "Until the Real Thing Comes Along"

Tune correct, artist IDed as Gene "Jug" Ammons above.

Ok, here we go:

9. At first I thought there was studio chatter or maybe audience noise. But then figured out it's just one person vocalizing for brief periods here and there and so I'm guessing Hines because that's his thing. No idea on song though. If I'm right and it's Hines, let me just say I love his playing. So damn brilliant. This song is a fucking story (maybe even a medley?) and it's so earnest and I feel that. Makes me want to play his records, like asap. 

10. Sax player zigs just when I think they're going to zag. Nice interplay. I like the bass player's sound, not so much the solo. Sax is way more interesting. And it seems to just cut off?  

11. Harsh mix at first but damn, gets better. Interesting intro, reminiscent of In a Sentimental Mood to me but it's no standard. Wow, this is a good song. Definitely my favorite so far next to track 9. 

12. Trumpet trio? That's 2 BFT's in a row! Nice song but the trumpet is buried. Fine, bass and drums are good enough to profile. Trumpet sounds like they're playing both sides of a conversation there at the 2.35ish spot and again later. Very cool. Bass player is all over that instrument. Is this a vinyl rip? Made me laugh after the bass solo when the trumpet returns. It's like they're walking back up the street because they sound so far away. 

13. Intro is tight and they get right to it. Trumpet sounds like it's played the higher register; nimble and pretty clean but I can't say I enjoyed that solo...yikes. Booker Ervin all the way. Feels like I listened to this song recently but I can't remember. I'm calling Higgins as the drummer too because this sounds like a Blue Note. Piano with some nice playing - he quotes at least one song in that solo that I can't name. Coming into that fifth minute it's Grant Green. I can't guess the song though - driving me nuts! (coming back after sleuthing. I ran those names through discogs and found the album. It's B1. I don't have it and didn't listen recently but something about that song is familiar)

14. Drummer and synth/organ player tease some funk but refuse to go there. Neat song but I have no idea. 

15. Lots of trumpet lead-offs in this BFT. That's cool for sure. Electric bass and traditional style arrangement but then that keyboard comes in - wait, so it's electric piano and then acoustic piano? Bass player is so good. Turns out I love this song. Have never heard it before so no guesses. 

16. The back half of this BFT just smokes. Kudos man. I have no idea who this is but it's another one I'm loving. At about 2:03...are you kidding? Just killing it, all of 'em and it's live. Ok, top 3 song with #s 9, & 11. 

Appreciate it Randy! Nice selection. Very much enjoyed it. 

After reading through, some other thoughts on:

1. I like this a lot more when the band comes in. I didn't recognize that as a bassoon. Whoever is playing has great control but for this setting it comes across a bit stiff. Interesting chatting at the end. 

2. Just noticed the "whomp" at the end. Weird way to end this tune

3. Closer listen reveals this to be incredible. I have this album but totally whiffed on guessing it. 

4. I guessed Jug on the wrong track. He's so good in this setting. He's keeping me totally tuned in to what he's playing the whole time. 

5. Now that the tune is named I tried to sleuth but no luck. 

6. I don't have much Byas at all. I have to remedy that. 

7. Don't have this album. Need to give it a listen. 

8. The guy's got pipes for sure. Really carries the arrangement through some dramatic moments. Would he be considered a baritone or more of a tenor? Not a kind of song I usually go for but I'm enjoying it. 

4 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

Ok, here we go:

9. At first I thought there was studio chatter or maybe audience noise. But then figured out it's just one person vocalizing for brief periods here and there and so I'm guessing Hines because that's his thing. No idea on song though. If I'm right and it's Hines, let me just say I love his playing. So damn brilliant. This song is a fucking story (maybe even a medley?) and it's so earnest and I feel that. Makes me want to play his records, like asap. 

Hines, indeed.  Thom identified tune as Duke Ellington's Solitude

Appreciate it Randy! Nice selection. Very much enjoyed it. 

Thanks, glad you did.

3 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

After reading through, some other thoughts on:

2. Just noticed the "whomp" at the end. Weird way to end this tune

That's it, A3 A Child is Born

3. Closer listen reveals this to be incredible. I have this album but totally whiffed on guessing it. 

Before the "Brown Paper Bag" twofers in the seventies, there was a series of colorful abstract art twofers, where I first hear #2 and #3

8. The guy's got pipes for sure. Really carries the arrangement through some dramatic moments. Would he be considered a baritone or more of a tenor? Not a kind of song I usually go for but I'm enjoying it. 

Baritone, I think

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Austin Cromer!!! Eckstine as drawn by Bob Clampett!!! And Melba Liston!!!

There's a lot of lost history in that cut.

Austin Cromer does indeed sing on this BFT.

28 minutes ago, BillF said:

Track 8: Vocalist Austin Cromer with the late 1950s Gillespie Big Band.

And we have the bandleader too!  Tune previously IDed as Over The Rainbow.  I read or heard that it was a jukebox hit back in its day.

Here's my two cents:

Track 1: Lush Life, played on a bassoon. I must admit I am spoiled by the more beautiful sound of historical bassoon instruments and the perfect way our local Frankfurt period performance practice students play them, so this does not satisfy me from a technical point of view. But it is a nice idea. Bassoon has to be played exclusively to really master it, in any genre. No idea who it is.

Track 2: A Child Is Born - very nice that they take their time before they let the band come in. Beautiful arrangement, well played. I would have liked it even more if they had kept it as subdued as in the beginning. Concise and to the point.

Track 3: This trumpet intro sounds very familiar. Tenor sax? I hear Dexter Gordon phrases. But that is neither his sound nor his vibrato. I am sure I have heard this or even own it, the tune sounds familiar, too. Very curious who this is.

Track 4: Gene Ammons! 

Track 5: Another standard tune, A Flower Is A Lovesome Thing. That alto player has his own very personal way of approaching the tune. The pianist starts his solo with some Debussy phrases, which is a nice contrast. This probably will be on my must buy list. Like it a lot. This has class.

Track 6. Cannot name this familiar tune right now. I probably know this player ..... Must be a seasoned older generation player. Not quite convincing to me how he plays the clsong cadenza.

Track 7. Another familiar tune. They way he meanders licks around the tune rather than playing thematic variations on it does not convince me. Almost like Dolphy at times. Could it be him? 

Track 8. Billy Eckstine? Over The Rainbow! What a fantastic singer! This is better than classical opera as you never have that much freedom there. This has me shout "Yeah" every other bar.

This was so great I have to take a break ....

3 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Here's my two cents:

Track 1: Lush Life, played on a bassoon. I must admit I am spoiled by the more beautiful sound of historical bassoon instruments and the perfect way our local Frankfurt period performance practice students play them, so this does not satisfy me from a technical point of view. But it is a nice idea. Bassoon has to be played exclusively to really master it, in any genre. No idea who it is.

Track 2: A Child Is Born - very nice that they take their time before they let the band come in. Beautiful arrangement, well played. I would have liked it even more if they had kept it as subdued as in the beginning. Concise and to the point.

Track 3: This trumpet intro sounds very familiar. Tenor sax? I hear Dexter Gordon phrases. But that is neither his sound nor his vibrato. I am sure I have heard this or even own it, the tune sounds familiar, too. Very curious who this is.

Track 4: Gene Ammons! 

Yes

Track 5: Another standard tune, A Flower Is A Lovesome Thing. That alto player has his own very personal way of approaching the tune. The pianist starts his solo with some Debussy phrases, which is a nice contrast. This probably will be on my must buy list. Like it a lot. This has class.

Glad you like it.  This apparently will surprise some folks.

Track 6. Cannot name this familiar tune right now. I probably know this player ..... Must be a seasoned older generation player. Not quite convincing to me how he plays the closing cadenza.

Track 7. Another familiar tune. They way he meanders licks around the tune rather than playing thematic variations on it does not convince me. Almost like Dolphy at times. Could it be him? 

Dolphy

Track 8. Billy Eckstine? Over The Rainbow! What a fantastic singer! This is better than classical opera as you never have that much freedom there. This has me shout "Yeah" every other bar.

Not Mr. B.  Tune correct of course!

This was so great I have to take a break ....