Downbeat Magazine, an amazing find.

7 minutes ago, Hardbopjazz said:

Just about every issue is posted in the link below.

https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/DownBeat/

I had used that site many times in the past for DB and other music publications but was confused how you had the root directory.  People better grab what they might be interested in quickly:

DownBeat Magazine

We have been ordered  by the publisher  to remove DownBeat magazine or we will be contacted by attorneys. So we have closed the DownBeat page.
This is the only music magazine in the world that has prohibited the use of older issues on our site, and we had hoped to include their in-depth jazz coverage... a genre not generally covered in depth in other publications.
And, further confusing us, issues as recent as 2020 of DownBeat are on Internet Archive!

Note:
This site had the only searchable index of
the magazine on this or any other place on this planet.
That resource is now deleted.

Also it sucks that the search feature is gone as I had become curious about pulling and compiling Kenny Dorham's reviews specifically.

12 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Also it sucks that the search feature is gone as I had become curious about pulling and compiling Kenny Dorham's reviews specifically.

If someone were to download them, store them in google drive, and share them, you could use the google drive search, which works on pdfs...

8 hours ago, Mark Stryker said:

Any way to download these from the root all at once -- or a big group at once, like an entire year, rather -- than having to go through each one individually?

Yes. If you have a browser extension such “down then all,” you can do an entire folder at a time. 

I’ll send you PM. 

I remember this website was spotlighted in a discussion here in mid-2022. After which I checked it out and finally downloaded a couple of missing 1954-55 issues (of which I have originals of about half of each year).
And now I saw this ...
Having been caught out with one or two similar online archive sites that all of a sudden went bust I now decided to act wholesale and am now on a downloading binge of the years most important to me. I have to download each issue separately but am progressing nicely ... ;) 8 full years done within an hour and a half ... ;)

So thanks for the alert!

Edited by Big Beat Steve

I guess the file size is too large. Here is another link to a folder in which I am loading smaller files (upload in process): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1NRgI5l-XBPHiq9EtHnrpxl8_eVYqC5qG?usp=share_link

P.S. I renamed (in batch) all the individual files DB-NNNN-MM-DD so that once you extract them all they are listed in order.

Edited by hopkins

Got 'em, thank-you.

I discovered jazz in 1982 or 1983, while in college.  In fairly short order, I was at the local library, combing though old issues of Downbeat, looking for ideas on records to buy.  Wow - this brings me back!

On 3/2/2023 at 1:12 PM, hopkins said:

I guess the file size is too large. Here is another link to a folder in which I am loading smaller files (upload in process): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1NRgI5l-XBPHiq9EtHnrpxl8_eVYqC5qG?usp=share_link

THANKS, hopkins!  I successfully downloaded a few decade's worth.  :tup

On 3/2/2023 at 8:53 PM, Eric said:

I discovered jazz in 1982 or 1983, while in college.  In fairly short order, I was at the local library, combing though old issues of Downbeat, looking for ideas on records to buy.  Wow - this brings me back!

I discovered jazz in the Eighties too, Eric.  Many memories of poring through Downbeat back-issues in the basement of the University of Georgia library.   Jazz Times and Jazz Journal (UK) as well.  

In those pre-internet days, it was the only way to keep up with what was happening!  (Or what had happened.)

Edited by HutchFan

11 hours ago, HutchFan said:

THANKS, hopkins!  I successfully downloaded a few decade's worth.  :tup

I discovered jazz in the Eighties too, Eric.  Many memories of poring through Downbeat back-issues in the basement of the University of Georgia library.   Jazz Times and Jazz Journal (UK) as well.  

In those pre-internet days, it was the only way to keep up with what was happening!  (Or what had happened.)

Yes, I had one more decade of pre-internet. All that kind of managing to get thru who it was in the 70´s, 80, and the beginning of the 90´s , I mean to call guys to fix a gig, to have to be everywhere for checking the scene: Who´s playin´, whom can I use, who could use me, where is a new venue to play. It was mostly mouth to mouth propaganda, but anyway we jazz musicians and jazz fans were like a family.

Oh, and private live then. To date a girl.....and if she was late or changed her mind......

On 3/2/2023 at 6:12 PM, hopkins said:

P.S. I renamed (in batch) all the individual files DB-NNNN-MM-DD so that once you extract them all they are listed in order.

Big thanks from me as well - downloading the lot, a great resource to have.

A cursory random scan of 1940s issues has stories with Django Reinhardt reported reputedly killed during WW2, Buddy Rich joining the USMC and a small classified ad from a start-up company called Blue Note Records on Lexington Ave advertising records for sale !  The Petrillo Organisation also gets lots of print space (no surprise I guess).

This gem from Dec 1959:

"During Louis Hayes’ drum solo, Shostakovich and Dankevich leaned forrward and watched the rim shots and rolls with concentration, like a couple of visiting American businessmen. Cannonball’s own quotes from numerous classical composers (in the course of his solos) didn't draw a smile."

Edited by sidewinder