Wayne Shorter has passed away

Patrick

1 hour ago, Larry Kart said:

A very kind  sensitive, and empathetic man in my experience. Those human qualities played into his music.

Interesting. I caught him just before he got on a band bus on one occasion to sign a couple of LPs, which he very kindly did. Didn’t say a word (my impression was a man of few words) but it was friendly - thank you Wayne.

Just glad that he toured the UK and Europe quite a bit after the late 90s. Caught the quartet in London on 3-4 occasions, plus concerts at NorthSea and Poole. The last London gig I caught was with chamber orchestra on the second part.

Edited by sidewinder

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm kinda creeped out that Wayne went before Sonny. Sonny is only 3 years older, but came on the scene and boomed everything up a decade or so before Wayne got public.

I wonder how much of the opera with Esperanza Spaulding got finished. That might be a fascinating piece of music if there's enough there for it to become one.

Another legend has left us.  R.I.P. to a man who was great for 60+ years...and in such multi-faceted settings.

His legacy will live as long as this thing called jazz lives.

Now spinning The Manhattan Project (technically a co-op, but in my view one of his greatest solo albums).

One of my favourites especially for all his outputs of the 60´s, first as Miles´ saxophonist, and then as a leader. Fantastic. 
I didn´t hear much Shorter in "Weather Report" but might re-listen to it eventually.
I had all his great compositions in mind when I saw him again in the early 2000´s but for me it was a bit harder to listen, it sounded a bit more like ECM-like music...

I don´t remember I heard him talkin live , he was introduced by Joe Zawinul even after he had left Weather Report....
He can be heard commenting his time with Miles on some Miles documentary film, but he is not such a rhetoric speaker as were others. And the introduction of the book about him, where it starts with a conversation between him and the author it´s quite hard to understand it....
I´ll always love his music. 

4 hours ago, Brad said:

WKCR is running a memorial broadcast until March 4.

89.9 FM if you’re in the NY area or https://www.cc-seas.columbia.edu/wkcr/#

Thanks. Nice archive recollections from time of Wayne’s 80th by Phil Schaap and Eric Person on at the moment, focussing on the final Quartet.

Edited by sidewinder

32 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

If one believes in an afterlife, hopefully Wayne and the also-great Alan are reunited.

And also Ana Maria Shorter.

Here's something I did not know, from wiki:

Singer and actress Tina Turner credits Shorter with saving her life. In Turner's 2020 spiritual memoir Happiness Becomes You, she states that Shorter and his wife Ana Maria provided Turner with critical refuge at their home for six months after Turner left her abusive husband, Ike Turner, in 1976

Edited by jazzbo

Just listened to this one:

LmpwZw.jpeg

In my ears, a masterpiece. Each track has a different mood and groove, Shorter's solos are exemplary. I love how he takes his time and audibly thinks while playing. One of my top recommendations whenever someone asks me for good jazz albums that show what the music can do.

29 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

Just listened to this one:

LmpwZw.jpeg

In my ears, a masterpiece. Each track has a different mood and groove, Shorter's solos are exemplary. I love how he takes his time and audibly thinks while playing. One of my top recommendations whenever someone asks me for good jazz albums that show what the music can do.

Nice recap - one of my go-to Shorter albums.

19 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I decided maybe about a decade ago, that Etcetera is my favorite Shorter leader-date — among many, many great ones.

Adam's Apple and Etcetera are right up there for me too.  But, among the Blue Notes, I think The Odyssey of Iska is my most favorite favorite.  

That said, Wayne's discography is so consistent that it's difficult to argue with almost ANY album that a person chooses.  It's remarkable.