the new stuff is here and almost here - order now -

I have three major projects coming out as I have mentioned here ad nauseum:

In the Dark, a 3 CD set with every musician I know: Ken Peplowsi, Lewis Porter, Aaron Johnson, Kelin Hannas, Brian Simontacchi, Lisa Parrott, me, etc etc. I can say forthrightly that this set is, compositionally and playing wise, as good as anything that's been out of late; these musicians, maybe not poll-winners, are masterful at combining the arts of chord-based improvisation with open playing, and our fusion of same is completely unique. These are all originals.

Anthony Braxton has said of me that "Allen Lowe is an American master. He is the tradition, and one of the few musicians doing anything new." Larry Gushee commented "Allen Lowe has reinvented free jazz," and Kalaparusha said "Allen Lowe is a great composer."  And John Szwed commented:

Allen Lowe is a genius!  His work is always full of wonder, the excitement of discovery, and humor.  I’m amazed by the energy and intelligence it takes to do this quantity of work at this level while on the margins of media and music.  Yes, I know that the best work has always been done at  the margins, by the so-called underground - Poe, Whitman, Monk, Harvey Pekar, Herbie Nichols, James Joyce, Sun Ra - but it’s still a surprise and a revelation whenever you find it.

If I had the money I would hire a publicist to do all this; but this is all me, self-produced and co-financed with ESP Disk, which is issuing all of these. So, next:

America: The Rough Cut: A single CD of mostly American song forms. Remember everybody got mad at me when I said Allison Miller's group, good as it was, was clueless about being bluesy and funky? Well, here's a real answer to a lot of the jazz world, which is usually over-qualified when it come to playing roots music. This recording includes the incredible Kresten Osgood on drums, and the man I nominate as the best guitarist on the planet, Ray Suhy.

Letter to Esperanza, or: The Goyim Will Not Replace Me: Looking for Tenure in All the Wrong Places

This is my new book, which will be available in about 2-3 weeks. It is a collection of commentary on jazz, cultural appropriation, being a Jew (and dealing with, among other things, anti-Semitism), minstrelsy, the arts in general, academia, white and black country music (in collision with Rhiannon Giddens), rock and roll, and any other thing that has troubled me these last ten years.

To avoid confusion, I will post pics of the projects on a separate thread here (if that's all right with the moderators) with pricing and specials.

Thanks all, I know we have had some conflicts in the past, but any support you can offer will be appreciated. Though about two years ago I did not expect to still be here by now, I live on.

Edited by AllenLowe