Horace Tapscott & Pan Afrikan People Arkestra - Live at IUCC 11/2678 2CD

jcam_44

Limited to 250 copies. Pre-order Here

This 2 disc set documents a legendary concert at the Immanuel United Church of Christ - November 26th, 1978. This is the first time that Nimbus founder Tom Albach had attempted to capture the Arkestra in their own environment and boy is it a doozy! About as raw and deep as it gets. Jesse Sharps here at the peak of his powers as Bandleader and Arranger, not to mention the playing, jeez.. this is a side of the Ark that has not been properly heard- until now…

disc 1

JUNGLE JUICE (30:50)

BALLAD FOR SAMUEL (21:29)

disc 2

LATELY’S SOLO (24:44)

IF YOU COULD SEE ME NOW (8:38)

TO THE GREAT HOUSE (21:49)

LIFT EVERY VOICE (1:58)

2CD SET in gatefold slipcase with notes by Tom Albach and Mark Weber -

this will be the first in a series of releases documenting the entirety of the I.U.C.C. recordings

looks like some vinyl is on sale as well. 

Edited by jcam_44
Added tracklist

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, jlhoots said:

250 copies. Not exactly HUGE!

I guess that means "Carpe Diem".

Interesting, because I've bought a whole lot of Nimbus West CDs from Dusty Groove's site @$9.99 apiece. But with a pressing of 250, I pre-ordered now rather than rolling the dice on that possibility.

2 minutes ago, Pim said:

International buyers have to send an email. Want to pre-order as well but Matt doesn’t respond to my emails. Also wondering if there’s going to be a vinyl version too. Their last 3lp set was amazing 

I trust Matt will respond.

Not knowing where the company is located (turned out to be USA), I e-mailed him last night (US time) and he replied almost instantly.

Just received a very friendly reply from Matt. He’s talking about a series of records to be released!!!!! So there’s probably more to come. He’s not sure about vinyl releases but definitely doesn’t rule that out. I’m buying these to be sure and might get the vinyl later then. Anyway, exciting stuff. Matt’s still calculating international shipping and will get back on that with me.

Edited by Pim

On 3/8/2023 at 8:05 AM, mjazzg said:

Emailed about the shipping to UK. Interested to see what they quote

ordered my copy a couple of days ago (Matt has reserved a copy for me) he just told me that there is going to be an international sales button (on the website page) when purchasing - should be up today then I'll properly purchase

have you seen the warning on the Nimbus West site re the bootleg Outernational Sounds label - looks like they've been giving Tom Albach a hard time - sounds like a classic example of elder abuse

Matt has also posted this message on the Outernational Sounds Discogs page

https://www.discogs.com/label/1193697-Outernational-Sounds

"DO NOT BUY ANY NIMBUS “REISSUES” WHICH ARE ISSUED BY outernational sounds

These are unofficial BOOTLEGS, MP3 SOURCED

THE SO CALLED “CONTRACTS” THAT HARV AND CO CLAIM TO HAVE , WERE OBTAINED FROM A 93 YEAR OLD TOM ALBACH BY MISLEADING AND NEFARIOUS MEANS…. THERE STILL EXISTS LAWS ABOUT EXPLOITING THE ELDERLY, AND THIS IS 100% A CASE OF GROSS MANIPULATION AND EXPLOITATION OF AN ELDERLY COUPLE..

OUR LAWYER HAS DEFINITIVELY CONFIRMED THAT THE “CONTRACTS” HAVE NO LEGAL STANDING WHATSOEVER , AND THE MEANS BY WHICH THEY WERE OBTAINED WERE FIRMLY ILLEGAL (SENDING COURIERS TO DEMAND SIGNATURES FROM A 93 YEAR OLD MAN WHO HAS NO IDEA WHAT HES SIGNING.. its pathetic -THERE ARE REASONS WHY CONTRACTS OF THIS TYPE REQUIRE NOTARIZATION AND A WITNESS, THESE SO CALLED “CONTRACTS” HAVE NEITHER).. WE HAVE ASKED MULTIPLE TIMES FOR HARV AND CO. TO “CEASE AND DESIST” TO NO AVAIL…THO THEY FINALLY STOPPED HARASSING THE ELDERLY ALBACHS VIA INCESSANT PHONE CALLS -THEY KEEP CHURNING OUT THESE ILLEGAL BOOTLEGS, AND HAVE FAILED TO EVEN LIVE UP TO THE TERMS OF THE “CONTRACTS” THEY CLAIM ARE LEGIT.. HMMM, PRETTY WEIRD…

SO , IF THESE “CONTRACTS” ARE LEGIT AS THEY CLAIM, THEN WHERE IS THE COMPENSATION STIPULATED IN THE TERMS? NO ? OH AND HOW ABOUT THE MECHANICAL ROYALTIES OWED TO THE ARTISTS (as per the fake “contracts”)? NOPE, NOT PAYING THOSE EITHER?… FACT IS - HARV and his little scam label NEVER INTENDED TO PROPERLY COMPENSATE THE ARTISTS OR NIMBUS. HARV IS A CON MAN AND SINCE HE REFUSES TO CEASE REPRESSING HIS BOOTLEGS OF NIMBUS TITLES. WE WILL NOW BECOME VERY VOCAL ABOUT THIS BULLSHIT.

DON’T BUY outernational sounds BOOTLEGS"

Whoa, nasty stuff. Hoping the good guys prevail.

Nimbus West might be in a transitional state these days...perhaps they're beefing up the website and operations.

If you go to the Nimbus West bandcamp page https://nimbuswest.bandcamp.com/

it links to a nonexistent (domain expired?) site "nimbuswest.com" rather than nimbuswestrecords.com as given above in this thread.

That's interesting. I had quite a long chat with Harv about his Nimbus West reissues in Honest Jon's, where he was behind the counter, as I bought one a few years back. He told a different story of what I think I recall was a one-off payment deal to T.Albach for the permission to reissue.  He was glowing in how he described his relationship with Mr. Albach.

Obviously this statement puts a different perspective on things.

I haven't received a response to my email about international shipping and it's still not available through the website

Have no idea what the legal situation is or was between the parties, and we'd have to see the contracts ourselves to know what the label is talking about. A lump sum to reissue certain titles and manufacture a set number of copies is pretty normal, but I suppose if they kept pressing them it would be a problem.

With you there Clifford

Thinking about it more I now remember that it was a lump sum and a number in the hundreds of copies of the new LP for Mr Albach to do with as he wished. It was the Jesse Sharpe's reissue. Interestingly, Nimbus W subsequently did their own reissue of the title which I also bought.

Looking at Discogs now and all the Outernational Sounds Nimbus W reissues have been updated to 'Unofficial' by someone