George Coleman turned 88 today

Hardbopjazz

Well he may not read this, but I love him, I saw him live, sad to say only one time, but with Billy Higgins. His "Amsterdam After Dark" is one of my favourite acoustic jazz records. 

I have watched some of his recent live streams at Small´s . He was playing astonishing well, but I was a little scared about that completly vacant look of him. Like from another world. The way he is sittin there and his vacant look is astonishing similar to Bud Powell. Just look here, how similar !

Herunterladen (7).jpg

Edited by Gheorghe

On 3/9/2023 at 12:52 AM, Gheorghe said:

Well he may not read this, but I love him, I saw him live, sad to say only one time, but with Billy Higgins. His "Amsterdam After Dark" is one of my favourite acoustic jazz records. 

I have watched some of his recent live streams at Small´s . He was playing astonishing well, but I was a little scared about that completly vacant look of him. Like from another world. The way he is sittin there and his vacant look is astonishing similar to Bud Powell. Just look here, how similar !

Herunterladen (7).jpg

He is 88, can understand some vacant looks, great that he can still play so well.  Powell passed at 41, along with his demons.

• 2 months later...

Glad to see George Coleman is still alive and well. When I was in New York a few years ago, I had the chance to see his long time sidekick Harold Mabern at Smoke or somewhere, but I didn't go, thinking I'd just have another chance.  Mabe passed away shortly after that and I still regret it. By the way, a live recording of Shirley Scott's performance at Left Bank was unearthed this year, and George blows a lot in it!

Edited by mhatta

• 1 month later...
On 3/9/2023 at 12:52 AM, Gheorghe said:

Herunterladen (7).jpg

From seeing him last night, I think the look you are referring to can be attributed to some vision loss, which could be more of a problem when playing in dark clubs.  George still is as sharp as a tack and was engaging with the band and the audience during and between sets.  

3 hours ago, Justin V said:

From seeing him last night, I think the look you are referring to can be attributed to some vision loss, which could be more of a problem when playing in dark clubs.  George still is as sharp as a tack and was engaging with the band and the audience during and between sets.  

Oh, I understand !

It must have been great to still see him. I saw him only when it was around the recordings of his famous "Amsterdam after Dark". 

By the way: About the photo I had posted I must get the information when and where it was made.....

I’d imagine George’s discography on his Wikipedia page isn’t complete (no idea, but inevitably there’s always a few things missing, which isn’t that surprising, and not a dig against Wikipedia).

But is there anything particularly interesting that’s missing??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Coleman

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
1 hour ago, tranemonk said:

I'm going this weekend to see him at the Regattabar in Cambridge MA. I'm hoping he's in as good as health as possible.

I would go to see him at the R'bar, but I recently bought tickets to see him play with One For All at Smoke in New York on March 15th. I may go to the Warren Wolf show at Scullers instead.