Bob Brookmeyer and Friends (Columbia, 1964)

22 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

Maybe Columbia had more in mind. The same rhythm section recorded with Tony Bennett, but it remained unissued. This 1987 Bennett compilation saw the first release of four of these tracks.

There is a fifth track, "Day Dream,"  included on the expanded CD of Brookmeyer & Friends.

29 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

The track 'Jive Hoot' was included in one of the earliest jazz compilations I ever heard, one put out by CBS on the budget UK 'Embassy' label. I think it is the best track on the album.

It is a great track, but at the same time, I would not want to be without the rainy-days-and-Mondays aspects of the album's ballads.  

I ‘like’ this session ok, but it’s a lot more relaxed than I was hoping for when I got it.  The vocal tracks with Tony are fine.

Ultimately it’s not the kind informal session I have very many of in my collection.  Might eventually trade it off, simply because I just have too many CD’s and really need to thin the herd (thin the ‘heard’) again one of these days.

But it is perfectly fine for what it is — no complaints.

The whole series of sessions in May and October 1964 was produced by Teo Macero and sounds to me like his brainchild, his idea of an all star production.  Miles' pianist and bassist, Coltrane's drummer, Getz and his new star vibist, his old buddy Brookmeyer as a leader/writer/arranger, and Bennett as vocal star with an underrepresented jazz side on his Columbia albums. Only Bennett was under contract with Columbia; Brookmeyer turned out to be a one shot deal, all the others recorded for other labels as a leader  - that's the only way Macero could have 'em all.

There are some excellent solos scattered over the tracks. I wonder how the takes categorized as "no final performances" in the credits of the expanded CD reissue sound. Brookmeyer plays fine throughout, but this is not your idea of a highly charged blowing session. Leave your expectations behind, and you will probably get more out of it. 

I hear no melancholy or sad strains in this music, btw.. Relaxed and elegant. 

p.s. the rhythm section stirs the fire at a constant level, but does not intend to burn the forest.

Edited by mikeweil

After listening to all the vocla tracks I think that Bennett's singing style is not really compatible with the more "modern" backing they provide. Imagine someone like Mark Murphy with these guys. Bennett has not enough drama in "Out Of This World". A bit too proper. At first I thought he may have overdubbed, as the band plays a little too much, but there is a phrase Getz plays that is too much of interaction with the singer. Maybe they all didn't give enough of a damn on these sessions. Just another studio gig?

Edited by mikeweil