Weather Report Question

Gheorghe

Dear friends.

It must have been around 1977, maybe 1978, when there was at the radio jazz program a tune from Weather Report that I liked but don´t know the title.

It was a very diatonic little theme, an almost pastoral feeling with a quiet groove, and the theme was always repeated. 
I think it had a more "foggy" intro, and then came the gentle rhythm with that little motiv that was repeated.

Can someone help me ? Any idea what tune it could have been ? 

Well I hadn´t known about Spotify and don´t have a streaming service. It´s just that the tune I described is in my head,  I heard it THEN and it had that special mood in it. 

As I said before, it has a very diatonic motiv, that´s always repeated, and it must have been in the 70´s.

I still hope that you friends over here might make some suggestions so that I can narrow my search .

@mhatta: No itwas not black marked. But thank you for the suggestion and for participating. 

13 minutes ago, cbianchi said:

Hi Gheorghe, not much to go on there, but I'm going to take a wild guess (or two): Lookup "Will" and "Adios."

Are you saying the tune was used as a theme song for the radio program, or that you just heard it on the radio?

hi thank you for the suggestions, It is not "Will" or "Adios". 

It was NOT used as a theme song for the radio program: We had a great radio DJ in Austria and his program on Saturday evening was titled "Jazz Shop". That Radio DJ was Herwig Wurzer and for me he was the Symphony Sid of Austria. That hip talk, the voice to that jazz sounds of the night. 
I had recorded some of his shows on cassette as I was a boy but those cassettes don´t exist anymore. So it was no theme song.  

Well that´s my fault I never kept documents..... I have the theme in my head, but don´t know the title. It might have been something that was or brandnew  on the market in 1977 (because the show was "Jazz Shop" , or it was an reissue. I think Herwig Wurzer once spinned a trio track of Joe Zawinul with a regular trio too, and once there was a piece with more kinda "shuffle" rhythm, with a walking bass line played by sythi....

Hello Friends. 

Yesterday I had a bit time and listened to some Weather Report tunes on youtube and it was so exhausting. I wrote down all the titles of the albums (with the exception of Black Market, which I discovered that I have myself !) . 

The Big Surprise was, that I recognized the swing tune "Mr. Gone", where the synthisizer plays the walking bass line. This was the second tune that was spinned after the "misterious tune" about which I have asked you ! 

But then I had to stop due to other commitments. 

So I suppose, that maybe my memories wrong and it was not in 1977 but in 1978. Well as a 1959 born you cannot know anymore, if a certain event was in 77 or 78. 

What I remember is, that the Radio DJ of "Jazz-Shop" spinned two tunes of Weather Report. One was "Mr Gone" and so maybe that slower piece with that sweet theme that constantly repeated might also be from "Mr Gone". 

And that could be logic, because that radio program concentrated on records that just had been published. 

Now, what more lyrical tune will be on "Mr Gone" ? 

On 3/17/2023 at 2:41 PM, Milestones said:

"Mysterious Traveler," title track of that album?   But this is an earlier record.

Sorry no. I had hoped this. But it is possible that the mistery tune I ´m lookin´ for is from an earlier album, since I browsed thru all the tracks of "Mysterious Traveler" . It´s really strange, I found the track "Mr. Gone" since I remember this was a strange 4/4 straight ahead tune, but the track I want to find....

It is true that it is possible it could have been from an earlier album too, since Herwig also spinned older stuff. I remember he once spinned some tracks from "Blue Train" which I bought....., his hour of jazz saturday late evening was my main source of hearing all that music when I was underage for night clubs. (well I didn´t wait until I was 18) 

• 1 month later...
On 3/14/2023 at 4:21 PM, sonnymax said:

While it might fun for members to guess, you could use Spotify or a similar streaming services to preview the tracks and identify the one you're looking for.

guessing games are fun. Keeps the brain active whereas having everything at your internet fingertips feels too easy.

On 5/1/2023 at 9:13 AM, bertrand said:

The Elders?

I think I had listened thru all the tunes of that album (Misterious Traveller) and couldn´t identify what I had in my mind that was spinned then in the late 70´s .

The thing is that I´m not really a Weather Report fan and was not. Once I heard that Miles said in an interview in 1975 that Weather Report sound´s "foggy". Well sometimes it sounds like a musical fog and my first choice on electric jazz of the 70´s from the beginning when I was in the middle of the wave was and still is the Miles Davis until 1975 or so, mostly the band with Al Foster, Mtume, Dave Liebman, and second choice might have been Hancock´s "Headhunters" and third choice might have been RTF. 

With your help I could identify "Mr Gone" that kind of space age "swing tune", which was spinned together with the tune I´m seekin. So I suggest it might have been from an earlier album. Usually Herwig Wurzer spinned something which is new on the market since his "sendung" was called "Jazz Shop". But he often spinned a second tune by the same artist as a comparation.

So I remember when he once spinned the then brand new Dușco Goicovici album "After Hours" , he spinned as a second tune "Saga Secorame" from "Swinging Macedonia" .

And once he spinned the brand new "Ecclusiastics" from the then latest Mingus Album "Mingus and Friends at Carnegie Hall" and after that the old "Better get it in ya soul" from the late 50´s ..... I think this was his style  of spinnin records...., oh boy he had that sonor voice, the voice of jazz, the voice of the night, like "your" Symphony Sid from Birdland .....