Newport (RI) Jazz Festival 2023 Lineup Announced

tranemonk

https://newportjazz.org/lineup

I for one, am much more excited this year. I'll be there all three days. There's still a lot of "who the hell is that???" BUT.. they got some of the old-timers as well... I'm very intrigued. It's felt like the last few years I had no idea who their artists were... It seems like a more mixed lineup this year of established jazz musicians and a few crossovers and newbies...

Anybody on this board, recommend who I should check out (of the newbies)?

Oooh, Thundercat is performing! Can't wait to hear the awesome tune "Drink Dat":

Can't open my eyes, girl

'Cause I'm just too wasted

You're taking me higher

Straight shots with no chaser

I'm up past the clouds

Can't come down, we're too faded

Way out in the stars

She said, "Come to outer space"

Then she said, "Drink dat, drink dat

Drink dat, drink dat"

She told me, "Drink dat, drink dat

Yeah, no.

I'm not seeing what you're seeing. I see three "old timers" and a whole lot of "who the hell is that" myself. Even the ones I do know, I wouldn't consider what they play "jazz", nor would I want pay "Newport money" to see/hear them, especially since I'd have to add in lodging these days.

But then again, most of the "old timers" are gone, so someone has to fill that slot up on stage. This is the future.

2 hours ago, AllenLowe said:

"Joe Russo's Almost Dead"- this guy stole my moniker. Actually, it's bad writing - are they saying that Joe Russo is "almost dead;" or. are they saying that the name of Russo's band is "Almost Dead"? Seriously, this is how semi-literate people get themselves in trouble.

It’s a Grateful Dead cover band. Russo is the drummer & leader.

3 minutes ago, Steve Reynolds said:

It’s a Grateful Dead cover band. Russo is the drummer & leader.

yeah, I figured that out and even watched a few minutes. I'll take the original Dead, stoned out of their minds and drinking Owsley's Kool-aid, over these guys any day.

Edited by AllenLowe

42 minutes ago, AllenLowe said:

yeah, I figured that out and even watched a few minutes. I'll take the original Dead, stoned out of their minds and drinking Owsley's Kool-aid, over these guys any day.

They are OK. Better 4-5 years ago before their improvisations became rote.

Phil Lesh’s band this past weekend at Capital Theatre in Port Chester was incredible. I was at 3 of the 4 nights. Pretty great for the 83 year old legend. John Medeski, John Molo, James Casey plus great guitar playing by Grahame Lesh & Rick Mitarotonda. Wonderful violinist in Katie Jacoby and the great vocalist Nicki Bluhm. 

Edited by Steve Reynolds

4 hours ago, bresna said:

I'm not seeing what you're seeing. I see three "old timers" and a whole lot of "who the hell is that" myself. Even the ones I do know, I wouldn't consider what they play "jazz", nor would I want pay "Newport money" to see/hear them, especially since I'd have to add in lodging these days.

But then again, most of the "old timers" are gone, so someone has to fill that slot up on stage. This is the future.

I'm the most interested in Charles McPherson, Charles Lloyd, Joshua Redman, John Scofield, and Kurt Elling. I haven't seen Diana Krall in ages and have not had the chance to check out the Kamasi Washington scene. I'm also curious about Somi and Samara Joy. I might stick around for Herbie who likely will be the last act of the weekend.

6 hours ago, bresna said:

I see three "old timers" and a whole lot of "who the hell is that" myself. Even the ones I do know, I wouldn't consider what they play "jazz", nor would I want pay "Newport money" to see/hear them, especially since I'd have to add in lodging these days.

My reaction too on seeing most of these festival lineups these days, alas.

• 4 months later...

So I went. I'm not going to link to Nate Chinen's review but here's my basic take. I had a three-day ticket but ended up only going on Sunday. The highlights for me were Charles McPherson and Diana Krall. McPherson's band was tight (Terrell Stafford on trumpet was excellent.) He rightfully deserved a standing O for the last song, his take on Cherokee

I hadn't seen Diana Krall in years (and had become very disappointed with the records she released). I followed her career from the beginning and really enjoyed it when she first appeared on the scene in the late 90s. Yet I realized again with her straight-ahead ballad-heavy quartet, that she really knows when to pause, spacing, and how to elicit sincere dramatic effect. When she did "In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning" on solo piano, I unexpectedly cried. Beautiful, just absolutely peaceful, longing, and full of emotion. Unfortunately, the schedule had her set overlapping with Samara Joy.

Although I did like what I saw of Samara Joy I was disappointed that she did a lot of loud singing. It wasn't in the vein of Mariah Carey, screeching but it was in the ballpark. The crowd loved her, especially the black folks (of which I am one). The enthusiasm of the moment and her popularity took away from any quieter moments there might have been. I wonder how her full show differs from a raucous 50-minute set at Newport?

I also caught Matthew Whitaker, Scary Goldings, and a bit of Marcus Miller, who were fine (Miller was the least of the bunch).

Next year is the 70th anniversary which I expect will sell out. I read Chinen's review and I agree with most of what we both saw. Looking forward to next year's festival. I think George Wein would be proud.