Jim Alfredson - Family Business

mjzee

Release date May 5:

51tX5MNVYuL.jpg

Product Description

Jim Alfredson brings everyone together for his first release as a leader for Posi-Tone Records. With all star horn players supporting a top notch organ trio in combination with a stunning program of new compositions and innovative arrangements, “Family Business“ clearly demonstrates Alfredson’s musical leadership and his total mastery of the Hammond organ. This hard hitting sextet session features the inspired front line playing of Diego Rivera on tenor saxophone, Alex Sipiagin on trumpet, and Michael Dease on trombone, along with the cool comping of Will Bernard on guitar, and the steady metrics of EJ Strickland on drums. Jazz fans everywhere will certainly agree that Jim Alfredson’s “Family Business” is a swinging good time that jazz fans of all ages can dig into over and over again!

About the Artist

Jim Alfredson comes from a musical family. Alfredson’s father earned a living as a professional musician for many years and encouraged his talents from a young age. Some of Jim's earliest memories include pulling on the drawbars of his father's Hammond B3 at the age of four. At the age of eight, Jim began writing his own songs on a Yamaha organ. A score of synthesizers and multitrack machines followed until he came full circle at 16 and became obsessed with the sound of the Hammond organ once again. Jim has immersed himself in the study of the mighty Hammond B3 ever since, dedicating his life to uncovering new directions within the deep tradition of the instrument. For 10 years, Jim served as organist and musical director of the highly successful regional rhythm & blues band Root Doctor (1999-2009). From 2010 until 2015, Jim was a member of Los Angeles based blues and Americana singer Janiva Magness’ band. He toured extensively nationally and internationally with the band until the pull of family life brought him back home for a few years of a touring sabbatical. In 2018, Jim started touring again and hit the road with Detroit’s Queen of the Blues, Thornetta Davis, appearing in Europe, Canada, and the US. He also toured Europe with blues guitarist James Armstrong. In 2022 he accepted the role of keyboardist and music director for blues guitarist Larry McCray.  Family Business (2023 Posi-Tone) is the latest album and features the veteran lineup of Will Bernard, Michael Dease, Diego Rivera, Alex Sipiagin, EJ Strickland, and Kevin “Bujo” Jones. Alfredson’s back catalog includes a 2009 self-released album dedicated to the memory of his parents called In Memorandom. In 2013, Jim released Dirty Fingers - A Tribute To Big John Patton. In 2015 he released a progressive rock album under the name THEO called The Game of Ouroboros. In 2021 he released a follow-up called Figureheads. Jim’s longest running project is the jazz organ trio Organissimo, formed in 2000. Organissimo has released seven albums to critical acclaim and performed all over the world.
 Jim has performed with many luminaries of the blues and jazz world including Buddy Guy, BB King, Taj Mahal, David Sanborn, Randy Brecker, Chuck Israel, The Holmes Brothers, Ron Blake, and more. 

When he's not on the road, Jim lives with his beautiful wife Alison in Lansing, Michigan. Besides practicing, listening, and performing music, Jim enjoys cooking, home improvement, and spending time with his daughters Zora, Stella, & Scarlett. Jim is also a piano tuner and technician in the Lansing area. During the pandemic he got into vintage keyboard repair, including analog synthesizers. He does countless recording sessions for local and regional musicians.  Jim is endorsed by Hammond Organ USA, Kurzweil Music Systems, and IK Multimedia often appearing as an artist for those companies at NAMM.

Exciting news!!! :excited:  And Alex Sipiagin is a real badass. Cannot wait to hear it!

PS: Jim, if you end up selling these directly (and especially if that’s a better deal for you financially)… then NOTE to other DC folks, I’m glad to put in a single (big) order for all of us, so we can all save some on shipping too (presumably).  Would also make for an excellent excuse to hookup with more DC/DMV-area people too, face to face at some point.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• 3 weeks later...

from Jim via Facebook…

Hey, I've been getting requests for signed copies of the new album on Posi-Tone. If you'd like one and can't make it to my upcoming shows (April 29th at Blue Llama, May 2nd and Moriarty's, and May 3rd at the SpeakEZ Lounge), you can shoot me $20 via Venmo, Paypal, or CASH App and I'll send you one if you're in the continental US. If you're outside the USA, just PM me and we'll figure it out.

PayPal: paypal.me/jimalfredson
Venmo: @Jim-Alfredson   
CashApp: $JimAlfredson

I ordered one but I added $2 to my PayPal order to cover their fees. I’m looking forward to hearing this.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Listening to this now.  I'm really enjoying it - shall I say I'm B-3 Groovin' to it?  Excellent writing, arranging and playing.  I especially like the groove; there's a laid-back yet tensile strength to it.  Listen and you'll know what I mean.