Age of Buyers of Mosaic Records Sets

Age of Buyers of Mosaic Records Sets  

60 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know where I even fall, I've received many Mosaics over the year but always requested as Christmas presents.  So I started receiving around, say, the age of 35.  OTOH I have not purchased one myself ummm ... ever. Closest I came was a preorder a few years ago which, in a moment of financial worry, was able to cancel.  I guess I am just not excited enough about any of their releases in the past 10-15 years.

For the record I am no TTK and love the concept and execution and wish them sufficient success to continue as a going concern until they decide to end it, as Lon said, when all finally retire.

3 hours ago, John L said:

This will probably give more information about the age distribution of people here at the forum than about people who buy Mosaic boxes. 

Yup.

I responded, 61-70 but I only started "seriously" collecting jazz recordings when almost 50. Which is when I started with Selects and then larger boxes.

Speaking of demographics, it's been a long-ass time since I noticed an Organissimo forum post authored by a woman...🤣

This will probably give more information about the age distribution of people here at the forum than about people who buy Mosaic boxes. 

True but I did ask if you purchased Mosaic sets. It’s interesting that most people started purchasing them years ago, which makes sense. 

Indeed... I bought one before I was forty, one a little afterwards, both used for little money... I did buy about 3000 jazz records in my first 40 years... So you might consider me proof that somewhat younger collectors don't appreciate Mosaics the way earlier generations did...

Bought my first two big box CD sets in my late 30s when it became easy to do so online, followed by a bunch of Selects and my other three big LP boxes in late 50s.

I'm now likely to sell the first two. 

I'm fairly agnostic about Mosaic, I don't like the alternates running together and really can't see why they can't feature original art work.

Much prefer owning individual albums as they become available.

I agree with a lot of what TTK says on the other thread 

Edited by mjazzg

57 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Bought my first two big box CD sets in my late 30s when it became easy to do so online, followed by a bunch of Selects and my other three big LP boxes in late 50s.

I'm now likely to sell the first two. 

I'm fairly agnostic about Mosaic, I don't like the alternates running together and really can't see why they can't feature original art work.

Much prefer owning individual albums as they become available.

I agree with a lot of what TTK says on the other thread 

Licensing original artwork would drive up the cost of a set, and they chose not to include it. A wise decision, given the problems they had to stay afloat.

I am 61.  Received the Blue Note Monk for Christmas in 1985 or 1986.  Steady diet of their stuff ever since, format agnostic.  The lack of cover art has never crossed my mind.  It has always been about the music, for which I have been forever grateful, especially in the early years.  Played the hell out of the Tina Brooks, Grant Green and especially the Columbia Woody Shaw.  And the Herbie Nichols, oh my.  And the Jackie McLean and the Andrew Hill.  And a ton of other stuff, the Selects, etc.  Simply a remarkable venture and again, incredibly grateful it has been with us nearly 40 years.

I'm 68.  My first Mosaic Purchase was the Tina Brooks LP set ca. 1985 when I was 30 (and what a miracle that seemed to be at the time, as did all of their early box sets).  My last box set purchase from them was the Clifford Jordan Strata-East in 2013.  My last purchase any kind from them was the Charles Tolliver All-Stars/Paper Man Mosaic Singles CD in 2019, when I was 64.  So no idea how to fill out the survey.

I'm 70.  I started buying the sets around '95 or so.  I used to love reading the lavish Mosaic pamphlets and I would order by phone.  Over the years I picked up quite a few of the boxes new.  The last several years I started buying up sets I missed when they came out from ebay, discogs, etc.  I enjoy the whole esthetic of the boxes, their distinctive look, the large format booklets, the exacting discography and research.  They have introduced me to a lot of swing, big band, west coast and other jazz.  I've particularly loved the Basie sets and in a way the Basie interest has reoriented a lot of my jazz listening.   I like the fact that Mosaic sets are quirky and unique.  I also own and enjoy plenty of single disc issues and other styles of box set. In my view there is and should be plenty of space for different types and styles of publishing for jazz music and music in general.