Henry Threadgill Autobiography

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, JSngry said:

I don't know about total rave - reviewer said the second half was a lot of cataloguing of gigs and tours and other things.  But the first half sounds like a humdinger with his Vietnam experience.

And I think one can be both horrified at the way he was sent to Vietnam while also feeling as if anyone in the army should be able to read the room and not mess with Francis Scott Key or Sousa in his arrangements.   

Speaking of the Threadgill ephemera, I have recently come into possession of this important object: a compact disc of the Henry Threadgill Zooid - THIS BRINGS US TO Volume 1, with a handwritten note on the cover. 

The text is as follows:

To FRANK
Thanx's For
Your Place

I am assuming that Frank had provided a very important service for the person who gifted him this CD. Am I right to assume that the person who chose to remain anonymous is Henry Threadgill? Are there any HT handwriting experts in the group?

IMG_2353

22 hours ago, Dmitry said:

Speaking of the Threadgill ephemera, I have recently come into possession of this important object: a compact disc of the Henry Threadgill Zooid - THIS BRINGS US TO Volume 1, with a handwritten note on the cover. 

The text is as follows:

To FRANK
Thanx's For
Your Place

I am assuming that Frank had provided a very important service for the person who gifted him this CD. Am I right to assume that the person who chose to remain anonymous is Henry Threadgill? Are there any HT handwriting experts in the group?

IMG_2353

Looks like somebody barely literate scribbled (with noticeable difficulty) on whatever was lying around. Munched the digipak as well.      

Began reading this and it's a real treat. Loving how the chapters are broken into a lot of small vignettes, always with a beginning, middle, and end. Makes for perfect spurt reading when necessary, as well as more sustained reading when possible.

And the vignettes often end in such a way that leaves the bigger truths unsaid but not unheard. 

• 2 weeks later...

About halfway through, Threadgill's just back from Viet Nam and picking back up on his composition studies.

To 5his point, this is one of the better (and better written) ",jazz books"  I've ever read. A compelling story compellingly told.