Jazz Times -- no white writers admitted now? per Nate Chinen

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

I wouldn't have the foggiest notion who that is.

Tisziji Muñoz - Divine Radiance

Surely you know a few of these guys?

Personnel:
Tisziji Muñoz guitar, synthesizer

Pharoah Sanders saxophone

Ravi Coltrane saxophone

Paul Shaffer piano, organ, synthesizer

Cecil McBee bass

Don Pate bass

Rashied Ali drums

Edited by unitstructures

14 minutes ago, sonnymax said:

How about Miles Davis, Lew Soloff and Lou Marini?

I have no use for your "tests".

14 minutes ago, unitstructures said:

Tisziji Muñoz - Divine Radiance

Surely you know a few of these guys?

Personnel:
Tisziji Muñoz guitar, synthesizer

Pharoah Sanders saxophone

Ravi Coltrane saxophone

Paul Shaffer piano, organ, synthesizer

Cecil McBee bass

Don Pate bass

Rashied Ali drums

I know four of those.

19 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

I couldn’t stand Paul Schaefer. He was a complete disaster on Marian McPartland’s Piano Jazz.

Yeah, he played a pathetic version of "Emily" that was embarrassing It sounded like he was stumbling through it playing folk-rock licks.

9 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Chris Elliott is Paul Shaffer!

I never saw that one. Thanks for posting it, it was a riot!

I was at Zinno once catching Jimmy Raney, and PS walked it with a young guy and the young guy's girlfriend. I was sitting at the bar, and the Hispanic bartender says to me in a very loud voice, "Hey man, do you know who that is? That's Paul Shaffer, man! He's gay, and he's a junkie! And he's got AIDS!"

The guy was laughing his head off.  I didn't know what to say. I have no idea if anything he said was true.

9 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Why would the co-writer of "It's Raining Men" even get booked on her show? I never knew him to have any yearning for playing jazz or being inspired by it though I guess there was some incipient threat of it if Dave had to tell him not to play that style.

I never knew he co-wrote "IRM". Maybe that bartender wasn't kidding around.

Here in DC (central DC proper, about 3 miles due north of the White House) — I haven’t the foggiest idea where to buy an individual issue of Jazz Times out in the wild (or Down Beat either, for that matter).

There were last Borders Books locations downtown about 5 & 6 years ago. There might(?) be a couple out in the ‘burbs, but I have no idea where — and I would bet not more than 2 or maybe 3 in the entire DMV (greater DC) area.

12 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Why would the co-writer of "It's Raining Men" even get booked on her show? I never knew him to have any yearning for playing jazz or being inspired by it though I guess there was some incipient threat of it if Dave had to tell him not to play that style.

Marian was open to inviting guests outside of jazz. She wanted to get Floyd Cramer and Keith Emerson, though neither ever made a guest appearance. Even though Emerson played a little jazz, he sounded like he wasn’t comfortable in that setting, according to what Marian shared with me. It would have been interesting if he had gone on the show.

As to the subject of the thread, the demography of the leading lights of the music has noticeably expanded. Contemporary innovators of the music we broadly call jazz come from many parts of the world... and have for many years now. Thus rendering JazzTimes' policy more than a day late and a dollar short.

16 hours ago, sgcim said:

I never saw that one. Thanks for posting it, it was a riot!

I was at Zinno once catching Jimmy Raney, and PS walked it with a young guy and the young guy's girlfriend. I was sitting at the bar, and the Hispanic bartender says to me in a very loud voice, "Hey man, do you know who that is? That's Paul Shaffer, man! He's gay, and he's a junkie! And he's got AIDS!"

The guy was laughing his head off.  I didn't know what to say. I have no idea if anything he said was true.

I never knew he co-wrote "IRM". Maybe that bartender wasn't kidding around.

That's an abhorrent story.

16 hours ago, medjuck said:

IIRC that was a good song.  Did Schaffer co-write it? 

Per Wiki written by Schaffer and Paul Jabara and meant for Donna Summer but she had recently become "born again" and considered it "blasphemous". I guess that "hallelujah" is only allowed in religious songs.

6 hours ago, sonnymax said:

That's an abhorrent story.

5 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Per Wiki written by Schaffer and Paul Jabara and meant for Donna Summer but she had recently become "born again" and considered it "blasphemous". I guess that "hallelujah" is only allowed in religious songs.

Yeah, and it was in the middle of the AIDS crisis. I wonder if the guy would've been fired today.

6 hours ago, AllenLowe said:

there was a period of time when Schaeffer was very drugged up and regularly, I have heard, being quite obnoxious. This may have been retaliation for some other slight.

Could be. The guy seemed to take so much glee advertising it over the small club.

Edited by sgcim

• 2 weeks later...

The June issue arrived today. It is very peculiar--starts off with pages and pages of photos of some sort of jazz related gala in Harlem. No text, just captions. The "articles" that follow are the big print versions of articles. Very little text. I haven't attempted to read any of them. The informational aspect of the magazine (finding out about new releases and the activities of living musicians), the reason I subscribed, appears to be gone. It's sort of a jazz version of People Magazine.

7 minutes ago, kh1958 said:

The June issue arrived today. It is very peculiar--starts off with pages and pages of photos of some sort of jazz related gala in Harlem. No text, just captions. The "articles" that follow are the big print versions of articles. Very little text. I haven't attempted to read any of them. The informational aspect of the magazine (finding out about new releases and the activities of living musicians), the reason I subscribed, appears to be gone. It's sort of a jazz version of People Magazine.

I don't even think that matches People Magazine which was described once as having one editorial rule: no articles that take longer to read than the average crap.

OK that was in The Big Chill which remains a favorite of mine and loathed by some people here.

At some point, perhaps before it stops publishing altogether, I will find myself at the  nearest Barnes & Noble so I can have a gander. Perhaps there will be a car wreck on the way that will also command a little attention.