Don Menza/Sam Noto Quartet Live (Fresh Sound)

Larry Kart

Menza, Noto, bassist Dave Young.  and drummer Terry Clarke at a Toronto Club in 1980 -- 63 or so minutes of mostly ferocious post-bop. Sound is good, though Young is somewhat too prominent in the mix; the athletic Menza and the heated thoughtful Noto are at their best. 

This is a pretty obscure one, there's is also a Fresh Sound 2xCD of 1981 live recordings called Live At Carmelo's Jazz Club with a decidedly more all-star band including Sal Nistico and Shelley Manne. Have you heard that? If so how would you rate it against Steppin' ?

I've heard Live At Carmelo's Jazz Club, first as tapes circulating among collectors, and then more than a decade later the Fresh Sound cd set, and the playing is great. The sound is good on the 2 cds. I have not heard the Noto material.

21 hours ago, colinmce said:

This is a pretty obscure one, there's is also a Fresh Sound 2xCD of 1981 live recordings called Live At Carmelo's Jazz Club with a decidedly more all-star band including Sal Nistico and Shelley Manne. Have you heard that? If so how would you rate it against Steppin' ?

21 hours ago, jazzbo said:

I've heard Live At Carmelo's Jazz Club, first as tapes circulating among collectors, and then more than a decade later the Fresh Sound cd set, and the playing is great. The sound is good on the 2 cds. I have not heard the Noto material.

Have that one and it was among the things that led me to the Fresh Sound album. Noto is in great form on both, though on. the Carmelo's album Andy Simpkins' bass is also too prominent IMO. Noto intrigues me. He came out of Clifford and Dizzy I think, but he's got his own thing -- as I said in a previous post, for a player that hot he's very thoughtful -- his lines really make sense and at times will become meditative in the midst of fiery flurries. A plus for Carmello's is Strazzeri -- a great comper and interesting soloist.

• 2 weeks later...

On 5/21/2023 at 11:02 AM, Larry Kart said:

Menza, Noto, bassist Dave Young.  and drummer Terry Clarke at a Toronto Club in 1980 -- 63 or so minutes of mostly ferocious post-bop. Sound is good, though Young is somewhat too prominent in the mix; the athletic Menza and the heated thoughtful Noto are at their best. 

Arrived today. Hope it's good. 😎