RIP Tina Turner

JSngry

This is my favorite Ike & Tina, on the chitlin circuit.  Originally The Ike & Tina Turner Show Vol. 2 on Loma,  I bought it as a budget Harmony LP entitled Ooh-Poo-Pa-Doo (with a great John Van Hamersveld cover).  Just driving, powerful soul.  I also liked her and the Ikettes (uncredited) on Zappa's Overnite Sensation.  RIP.

OS04ODcxLmpwZWc.jpegIkeAndTinaTruner-OohPooPahDooLPCOVER.jpg

It is difficult to think of Tina as dead.  She was larger than life in so many ways and the personification of eternal youth.   

My father became a big fan in the 60s and took me several times to see the Ike and Tina Turner review.  I had never experienced so much pure energy, dynamism, and charisma on a stage before, and I haven't since.  Tina was a force of nature.

Someone posted this from the Facebook group "The Black Page - The Zappa Page":

In the Spring of '73, FZ was recording at Bolic Sound (Ike and Tina Turner's studio) in Inglewood, CA.

"I wanted to put some back-up singers on the thing, and the road manager who was with us at the time checked into it and said, 'well, why don't you just use the Ikettes?' I said, ''I can get the Ikettes?'' and he said ''Sure''. But you know what the gimmick was? We had to agree, Ike Turner insisted, that we pay these girls no more than $25 per song, because that's what he paid them. And no matter how many hours it took, I could not pay them any more than $25 per song per girl, including Tina. [Actually he paid them $25 per hour per girl for the vocals session of May 31st, 1973, while they recorded voices for six songs]

It was so difficult, that one part in the middle of the song ''Montana'', that the three girls rehearsed it for a couple of days. Just that one section. You know the part that goes ''I'm pluckin' the ol' dennil floss''? Right in the middle there. And - I can't remember her name, but one of the harmony singers - she got it first. She came out and sang her part and the other girls had to follow her track. Tina was so pleased that she was able to sing this thing that she went into the next studio where Ike was working and dragged him into the studio to hear the result of her labor. He listened to the tape and he goes, ''What is this shit?" and walked out. [Ike refused the name of the Ikettes being used for credits]

I don't know how she managed to stick with that guy for so long. He treated her terribly and she's a really nice lady. We were recording down there on a Sunday. She wasn't involved with the session, but she came in on Sunday with a whole pot of stew that she brought for everyone working in the studio. Like out of nowhere, here's Tina Turner coming in with a rag on her head bringing a pot of stew. It was really nice."

57 minutes ago, mjzee said:

In the Spring of '73, FZ was recording at Bolic Sound (Ike and Tina Turner's studio) in Inglewood, CA.

"I wanted to put some back-up singers on the thing, and the road manager who was with us at the time checked into it and said, 'well, why don't you just use the Ikettes?' I said, ''I can get the Ikettes?'' and he said ''Sure''. But you know what the gimmick was? We had to agree, Ike Turner insisted, that we pay these girls no more than $25 per song, because that's what he paid them. And no matter how many hours it took, I could not pay them any more than $25 per song per girl, including Tina. [Actually he paid them $25 per hour per girl for the vocals session of May 31st, 1973, while they recorded voices for six songs]

It was so difficult, that one part in the middle of the song ''Montana'', that the three girls rehearsed it for a couple of days. Just that one section. You know the part that goes ''I'm pluckin' the ol' dennil floss''? Right in the middle there. And - I can't remember her name, but one of the harmony singers - she got it first. She came out and sang her part and the other girls had to follow her track. Tina was so pleased that she was able to sing this thing that she went into the next studio where Ike was working and dragged him into the studio to hear the result of her labor. He listened to the tape and he goes, ''What is this shit?" and walked out. [Ike refused the name of the Ikettes being used for credits]

I don't know how she managed to stick with that guy for so long. He treated her terribly and she's a really nice lady. We were recording down there on a Sunday. She wasn't involved with the session, but she came in on Sunday with a whole pot of stew that she brought for everyone working in the studio. Like out of nowhere, here's Tina Turner coming in with a rag on her head bringing a pot of stew. It was really nice."

Far out. F*ck Ike Turner.

1 hour ago, mjzee said:

It would seem that it was $25 an hour, not per song.  Still...

117169829_3270439699679109_2871754420348

It must have been in the days before I got acquainted to jazz, that I may have heard one or the other song on radio. I think I heard the first jazz in 1973 (and saw Miles late in that year), so this must have been ´71 or ´72, there was a radio hour "The Big Ten of ORF3" were you could rate ´em . It was on Saturday and be sure on Monday, again at school, during intermissions we all discussed what was spinned. That´s were I heard Ike´n Tina Turner. I think we boys heard what we considered "hard rock", in any case not the soft side of pop music, it had to be "hard" and "loud". 
This is my only sure musical memory of non jazz music , or maybe the local "gipsy music" you´d hear at weddings, at restaurants etc. .....

I've always been a big fan of Tina Turner's singing. Her cover of "Proud Mary" was one for the ages and her "What's Love Got To Do With It" is a blast to crank up. I never did get a chance to hear her live.

It's too bad her early career was so messed up by Ike. You have to wonder how much bigger she would have been if she had been able to do what she did in the 80s, twenty years sooner.

26 minutes ago, bresna said:

What's Love Got To Do With It" is a blast to crank up. I never did get a chance to hear her live.

Oh yeah. The production on that song is incredible and Tina just takes to a whole other level. RIP to a real icon. 

Edited by Dub Modal

3 hours ago, bresna said:

I've always been a big fan of Tina Turner's singing. Her cover of "Proud Mary" was one for the ages and her "What's Love Got To Do With It" is a blast to crank up. I never did get a chance to hear her live.

It's too bad her early career was so messed up by Ike. You have to wonder how much bigger she would have been if she had been able to do what she did in the 80s, twenty years sooner.

Maybe.  Maybe not.   Ike was an extremely talented artist and producer who arguably had a strong positive influence on Tina's early musical development.   That is despite the fact that he also mistreated Tina.   My favorite Tina is still what she recorded with Ike, although I do also love "What's Love Got to Do With It."   (By the way, her version of Proud Mary was an Ike production)

Edited by John L

20 hours ago, John L said:

Maybe.  Maybe not.   Ike was an extremely talented artist and producer who arguably had a strong positive influence on Tina's early musical development.   That is despite the fact that he also mistreated Tina.   My favorite Tina is still what she recorded with Ike, although I do also love "What's Love Got to Do With It."   (By the way, her version of Proud Mary was an Ike production)

But doesn't your feeling about "What's Love Got To Do With It" somewhat validate what I said? She left Ike in 1976, right when R&B was being subsumed by disco - in fact, her first two solo efforts were basically disco LPs ("Rough" & "Love Explosion"). It took her 8 years to finally break out with the LP "Private Dancer", which not only gave her her first #1 hit, it also garnered her 3 Grammys that year (1984).

I just have to wonder if she had been able to break away from Ike years earlier, maybe she would have done this much sooner. I mean, think about it... she was 55 in 1984 and she was able to pump out 3 hit singles. Not a lot of rockers her age were still charting in the mid-80's.

And FWIW, I can hear why some people don't like her singing. She definitely adds a lot of grit, particularly her held notes. On some songs it works, on others, it doesn't.

13 hours ago, gvopedz said:

I don't get why Frank Zappa gets so much critical acclaim. I've never been a fan. I get that he's trying to have fun and make a point, but the nonsensical lyrics often just rubbed me the wrong way.

When I was a teenager, I had a couple of friends who would crank up "Dinah-Moe Humm" and I thought the lyrics sounded like something a stoner might write to Penthouse Letters.

Edited by bresna