Jason Moran on Bandcamp

ejp626

I guess this is just the sign of the times.  Jason Moran released a full-length CD on Bandcamp back in January - https://jasonmoran.bandcamp.com/album/from-the-dancehall-to-the-battlefield

As far as I can tell there is no physical release (or perhaps there was one but it sold out).  I also don't think it is available on any of the typical streaming sites, which is definitely unusual.  

There seem to be two other releases (from 2021 but this is the first time I heard about them) also on Bandcamp.

https://jasonmoran.bandcamp.com/album/graves-moran-live-at-big-ears

https://jasonmoran.bandcamp.com/album/the-sound-will-tell-you-2

And then some odds and ends from before this.

The musical / performance merit of that latest recording was the subject of a minor brouhaha on this forum, but I didn't participate and am too lazy to search for it.

Interesting decision about bandcamp. Even I've been able to detect a trend away from physical CD releases, so skipping that is no surprise...😄 Passing on the streaming sites is an interesting call. I'm not a musician and don't know about the economics of streaming, but streaming per se doesn't appear very profitable for artists. Perhaps it becomes more attractive if you accept the argument that streaming exposure can result in purchase of downloads (or even physical recordings)?

Edited by T.D.

I'm sure he gets a much, much bigger cut through Bandcamp vs. mere pennies (if that) through the streaming sites.  But the downside is almost no visibility at all.  I had no idea about any of these releases whereas I do find out about new jazz releases every month or so through Apple Music.

I suppose one could do an A/B comparison: Release an album on Bandcamp + streaming sites and another solely on Bandcamp, and then compare the revenues to artist. But the results could be confounded with "quality of the album", whether it got reviewed by major media sites, etc. So a larger statistical study would be required.

Mind you, I don't believe this is actually happening. 😄

Edited by T.D.

12 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Really? I've looked at what I think is his website and that's not an option.

On my phone, it shows two options under “store” in the upper right hand corner, “bandcamp” and “physical CD’s”.

Be aware that the CD’s seem to have (presumably domestic) shipping included (which explains their relatively high cost).  And there’s also a note to email them if you’re buying more than one item.

ALSO, there seems to be a (short) “page 2” of more CD’s (which could be easily overlooked).

This is all on mobile via my iPhone — no idea what it looks like on a desktop browser.