Clifford Jordan - Drink Plenty Water (unissued 1974 Strata East session)

colinmce

It somehow flew under the radar that this unissued 1974 Strata East session has been released by Clifford Jordan's widow, Sandra Jordan, who assisted in transferring the original tapes. lineup as follows:

Clifford Jordan, tenor
Dick Griffin, trombone
Bill Hardman, trumpet
Charlie Rouse, bass clarinet(!)
Bernard Fennell (a.k.a. Muneer B. Fennell/Muneer Abdul Fataah), cello
Stanley Cowell, piano
Sam Jones, bass
Bill Lee, bass & arrangement
Billy Higgins, drums
Donna Jordan Harris, Kathy O'Boyle, Denise Williams, Muriel Winston, and David Smyrl, vocals & recitation

you can buy the CD from the Mapleshade website. it's also on streaming services. 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, jlhoots said:

Description says it's "primarily vocal". Wonder what that means.

There are some Coleridge Perkinson type things on a couple tracks, and a couple featuring recitation by David Smyrl. So there's not a lot of soloing on it, no. But still a cool artifact and a good listen imo. 

3 hours ago, colinmce said:
you can buy the CD from the Mapleshade website. it's also on streaming services. 

Be aware that the Mapleshade website also currently has a "SAVE 30% WHEN YOU BUY 3 OR MORE CDs" offing going on, which seems to apply to everything they offer.  This new Clifford Jordan disc is under the category "OTHER LABELS' CDS".

18 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Be aware that the Mapleshade website also currently has a "SAVE 30% WHEN YOU BUY 3 OR MORE CDs" offing going on, which seems to apply to everything they offer.  This new Clifford Jordan disc is under the category "OTHER LABELS' CDS".

They also have a CD of Glass Bead Games in stock. Not sure what the status is now but for years that was real tough to find. 

I noticed some dropouts on the tape in the second half. I don't know if such issues precluded it from being issued in the first place, or if tape damage occurred later.

Judging by its short running time and alternate versions of the longest piece on the date, if anything was slated it would have included material from this and another session.

I've bought several Mapleshade CDs over the years. All but Walter Davis Jr.'s In Walked Thelonious (which I recommend) were forgettable, but none of the forgettable titles appear on the website. Current Mapleshade inventory on the website includes some pretty interesting titles (Raphe Malik for one), looks like a 3-CD order could easily be cobbled together to qualify for the 30% off.

4 hours ago, colinmce said:

They also have a CD of Glass Bead Games in stock. Not sure what the status is now but for years that was real tough to find. 

This is being released again on cd  in Japan as a mini LP next week if anyone is still needing it

The new one isn't working for me.  I think it would have benefited from a good bit more rehearsal (also a common malady on many of the more complex Muse dates of the era, as well as several other small labels including some Strata East dates).  I can see why it wasn't released in the 70's.

I'm digging this.

Not 100% into the vocals (though I do have a weakness for spoken word pieces), but that's the only slight demerit. Jordan's playing is great, and I really like the instrumentation (e.g. cello, 2 basses, bass clarinet, Stanley Cowell,...) and arrangements by Bill Lee.

Considering how much I enjoy Lee's (via Descendants of Mike and Phoebe) A Spirit Speaks, this is a must-buy.

Edited by T.D.

18 hours ago, BFrank said:

I wonder why it wasn't included in Mosaic's "The Complete Clifford Jordan Strata-East Sessions"?

That's a great question, as they had two other unreleased sessions (Wilbur Ware, Ed Blackwell, if I am remembering correctly) in the box.