John Coltrane with Eric Dolphy - Evenings at the Village Gate (July 14th release date)

colinmce

I got a little inside info last year about this one (and one other one not involving John), exciting to see it finally coming.

In August of 1961, the John Coltrane Quintet played an engagement at the legendary Village Gate in Greenwich Village, New York. Eighty minutes of never-before-heard music from this group were recently discovered at the New York Public Library. In addition to some well-known Coltrane material (“Impressions”), there is a breathtaking feature for Dolphy’s bass clarinet on “When Lights Are Low” and the only known non-studio recording of Coltrane’s composition “Africa”, from the Africa/Brass album.

Tracklist:

1. My Favorite Things
2. When Lights Are Low
3. Impressions
4. Greensleeves
5. Africa

https://www.npr.org/2023/05/31/1179098682/john-coltrane-eric-dolphy-village-gate-1961-lost-album

Edited by colinmce

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, colinmce said:

I got a little inside info last year about this one (and one other one not involving John), exciting to see it finally coming.

https://www.npr.org/2023/05/31/1179098682/john-coltrane-eric-dolphy-village-gate-1961-lost-album

Just saw Nate Chinen’s email about this. Holy moly! 

The NPR story has a sound clip - sound quality seems pretty decent.

Tapes were discovered by a Bob Dylan archivist at the New York Public Library for the Performing Arts.

Wish I could copy the link.  They have a pic of the album cover which to me looks freaky cool.  This is an 80 minute recording.

Edit: here we go:

jc-ed_3000x3000_packshot_revised_custom-330d48681258a72348dda94428b70420669ce944-s1600-c85.jpeg

Edited by Eric

Paging Mark Stryker—remember the Detroit jazz tribute in NYC where we ascertained that the venue, (Le) Poisson Rouge, was the former site of the Village Gate?

Really excited to hear this. I’ve continued to hope that the early-1960s Showboat recordings will surface in some official-release form, but a new Coltrane-Dolphy performance will more than suffice for now. 

My guess is yes. CD manufacturing has put 79 to 80 minutes (and in a few cases just over 80) onto cds for some time and most players from this century will have no problem with playback.

Edited by jazzbo

10 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Paging Mark Stryker—remember the Detroit jazz tribute in NYC where we ascertained that the venue, (Le) Poisson Rouge, was the former site of the Village Gate?

Really excited to hear this. I’ve continued to hope that the early-1960s Showboat recordings will surface in some official-release form, but a new Coltrane-Dolphy performance will more than suffice for now. 

yeah, well, I think the CVS next door as the underground portion is below the pharmacy.

But for all intents and purposes that's correct.

NPR & Guardian stories are interesting. So, Alderson set up a single mic to test his state of the art system and set this aside after recording because they were unauthorized. How do they now become authorized for official release? This also sets up the intriguing possibility that he also recorded other acts (Simone, Silver & Blakey's group) that haven't been released before - and maybe more dates of Coltrane's group. The Guardian says that Coltrane had residency at the VG, so was this just for that month of August '61? I'm also intrigued by how things get lost in the NY Library for Performing Arts archives. Was it haphazard cataloging? 

20 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

NPR & Guardian stories are interesting. So, Alderson set up a single mic to test his state of the art system and set this aside after recording because they were unauthorized. How do they now become authorized for official release? This also sets up the intriguing possibility that he also recorded other acts (Simone, Silver & Blakey's group) that haven't been released before - and maybe more dates of Coltrane's group. The Guardian says that Coltrane had residency at the VG, so was this just for that month of August '61? I'm also intrigued by how things get lost in the NY Library for Performing Arts archives. Was it haphazard cataloging? 

Not lost. My guess is that the materials were unprocessed, or perhaps a section of the archives was not given item-level cataloging. It really depends and is no fault of the archives/archivist, especially given the sheer size of the NYPL PAA collections.