Tough **Altos**?

Dan Gould

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, BillF said:

This list is getting so long that someone will be naming Paul Desmond next! :lol:

Clearly my idle thought while driving wasn't my most perceptive - of course there are "tough" altos, even restricted to the "mainstream" but if anyone does say Paul Desmond .... 😜

Here's one someone could have mentioned:

Curtis Peagler.

Am I mistaken or has no one mentioned Cannonball yet? Especially later Cannonball, when the Bird influence becomes less dominant.

James Spaulding (though maybe too "out" for some tastes)

Art Pepper, especially 70s Art. But then there's INTENSITY...

Jesse Davis

Ed Jackson (the same Ed Jackson who played with Tom Varner)

Edited by Joe

19 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Personally I think of direct links to Bird also being disqualifying for the sort of "toughness" that I am referencing. so I wouldn't necessarily go with Jackie Mac... but since I acquiesced to Sonny Criss, hey, why not. ;)

Recognizing that you did seem to capitulate, and have now included McLean in your thinking -- I have to say that I can think of no "tougher" alto player than Jackie (other than players who are clearly a little more outside that seem to be up for consideration).  If Jackie's sound and manner of soloing isn't "tough" -- what the heck is?

Also, Dan, did you weigh in on whether Dolphy in the studio qualifies?

Edited by Rooster_Ties

On 6/5/2023 at 5:07 PM, Rooster_Ties said:

How about Jackie McLean?  I think he’s essentially a tough but arguably slightly more an inside player, than avant.

I  was thinking about Jackie too. He has that filthy bluesy sound. I’d call it tough. Those intense high squeaks on Let Freedom Ring 🥰 it took me a while to click with his sound but when I did, oh man