What albums *really* exceeded your expectations???

Rooster_Ties

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first Monk I heard was my dad's copy of Criss-Cross, which when it was (finally) handed down to me, proved to be a rather beat original. I loved Monk right away, though perhaps for the "wrong" reasons at the time. I heard more corners then, whereas now the edges are, if not smoothed, so absolutely natural and swinging that it's hard to believe it's the same music I first perked my ears at.

But my expectations were surely exceeded back then, for sure. And strangely, my dad still finds Monk very corner-y and cerebral...

Yeah on Parlan.

Howard Riley - The Day Will Come - (CBS) - I bought it on a lark because a friend said I would like it. Well, it might be one of the best inside-outside piano trios I've ever heard. His other records are great, too, but this is a mother...

Excellent Choice. The Day Will Come is a real mother... :)

For a thread like this, I have to mention (in no particular order):

Flight To Jordan---Duke Jordan

Davis Cup---Walter Davis, Jr.

Soul Mates---Charlie Rouse

Fingerpoppin'---Horace Silver

I expected that last one to be a respectable second-tier Silver album; did not know it would turn out to be one of the best albums in the history of the Universe.

If I may mention a blues item in this thread...In '92 I picked up a 1989 album by Charles Brown on the Alligator label (I think he recorded it for somebody else, but I'm not sure.) called One More for the Road.

He still sounded great that late in life, and I've enjoyed listening to the CD without ever getting tired of it.

There are many records that fit into this category for me, but that is mostly due to my own ignorance.

I had picked up a handful of Lionel Hampton lps and they were quickly sent to the basement so my expectations were very low until I checked out The Lionel Hampton Quintet, which was originally a Clef side I believe. This lp is pure joy pressed into 12” of vinyl. One whole side of the record is Lionel, Buddy Rich, Oscar Peterson, Ray Brown and Buddy De Franco just going to town on Flying Home. I played this for a friend who prefers his jazz a little more on the free side of things and his comment was, “They just sound like they are having fun, don’t they.”

Most of the time this happens when I have formed an opinion with out really having listened to, or being completely ignorant of, a particular persons work. Seeing Anita O’Day in the film ~ Jazz On A Summer’s Day was another one of those moments.

Edited by (BB)

No record had a greater impression than the Columbia lp called "Louis Armstrong and his Hot Five" about 50 years ago. I guess I need to thank (beyond Louis, Johnny, etc) Richard M Jones and George Avakian for the record.

I thought Richard M Jones was a pianist and composer of an old an extremely well known blues song, which I can't remember at the moment :blush:

What did he have to do with that LP?

MG

No record had a greater impression than the Columbia lp called "Louis Armstrong and his Hot Five" about 50 years ago. I guess I need to thank (beyond Louis, Johnny, etc) Richard M Jones and George Avakian for the record.

I thought Richard M Jones was a pianist and composer of an old an extremely well known blues song, which I can't remember at the moment :blush:

What did he have to do with that LP?

MG

He was also talent scout/producer for the Okeh label in Chicago. His influence in the field was enormous.

There are two Richard M. Jones CDs on the Classics label, 1923-1927, and 1927-1944.

He recorded two piano solos for Gennett in 1923, and led a group which recorded sporadically as Richard M. Jones and His Jazz Wizards.

In 1926, he organized a concert for Okeh, featuring King Oliver and the only known public appearance of the Louis Armstrong Hot Five.

He died in 1945.

The famous blues song he authored, if I recall correctly, is Troube in Mind.

You can't buy everything you want, so sometimes you put off getting something you know will be good. Then, when you DO get round to it, you think, "hell, I could have been listening to that for twenty (or whatever) years, if I'd bought it when I first wanted to." So, really, your expectations were too low to start off with, otherwise you WOULD have bought it before. That's happened to me with

Jack McDuff - The honeydripper

Horace Silver - The Cape Verdean blues

Freddie Roach - Good move

Then there are albums where your expectations have been conditioned by what you've heard before, but which are a good bit beyond that.

Cheikh Lo - Doxandeme (actually his first album, but I'd heard later material earlier)

Youssou N'dour - St Louis (after several years of making ordinarily great albums, out comes a masterpie!)

Maceo Parker - Life on Planet Groove (his more jazz-related issues on Minor Music didn't prepare me for this one at all!)

Groove Holmes - On Basie's bandstand (so much more electrifying than "Livin' soul")

Sonny Stitt - Live at the Left Bank (well, so many of Sonny's albums are so-so, aren't they? But when you get a blisterer, it really peels the flesh off your face!)

Then there are some where you really don't know what you're buying and, when you get them home, you're NAILED!

The Drifters - There goes my baby (45)

Ray Charles - What'd I say (45) (bought these two unheard on the day they came out in UK. I'd never heard of either artist at the time.)

The miseducation of Lauryn Hill

Harold Mabern - Kiss of fire

Milt Jackson - Soul believer

MG

Way back when it first came out in 1957, Mingus' "East Coasting." I'm not sure of the actual release dates of the material that Mingus recorded around that time for Atlantic ("Pithecanthropus Erectus," "The Clown") and RCA ("Tijuana Moods"), but I'm pretty sure that all (or almost all) the Mingus I'd heard by that point was the more "progressive" material he'd previously recorded for Debut and Period. The writing on "East Coasting" and the playing by Clarence Shaw, Jimmy Knepper, Shafi Hadi, and (yes) Bill Evans was a revelation, and it still hits me the way it did the first time.

The next record to really "work" on me was Monk's "Brilliant Corners".

I feel exactly the same way about the Armstrong Hot Five/Seven Box set that came out a couple years ago. I could just listen to it over and over and over...

Edited by Hoppy T. Frog

Keith Jarrett - Facing you

just terrific and zero moaning!

:blink:

Impossible!!

I love Jarrett, man. But all that fucking noise can really be obtrusive at times. It damn near ruins what I consider to be his best solo effort after Koln, The Vienna Concert.

Oh, and the one album I can think of right now that exceeded my expectations was The Peach Orchard. Cooper-Moore's playing on that one is simply out of this fucking world! Even Brown is at the top of his game. Truly a classic album.

I should also mention that The Illinois Concert actually exceeded my expectations. I love Dolphy, big time!! And even though that was a killer line-up, for some bizarre reason, I didn't really expect much from it. It ended up being one of my favorite Dolphy's behind OTL.

Coltrane A Love Supreme

Coltrane Africa Brass

Coltrane Newport 63

Mingus Black Saint And The Sinner Lady

Vienna Art Orchestra All That Strauss

but I recently discover Modern Jazz Quartet expecialy "Third Stream Music". I've always kind of ignore them but now I know it's only me who suffer the loss.

And of course the musician that highlighted my 2006 - KEN VANDERMARK!

Coltrane A Love Supreme

Coltrane Africa Brass

Coltrane Newport 63

ALS still somewhat underwhelms me to this day. But the other two choices are spot on. And I agree. I was not very excited about Africa Brass at all. But what a smoking album!

Another one I just thought of that exceeded even my high expectations was The Blues And The Abstract Truth.

Exceeded expectations:

Alice Coltrane - Journey in Sachidinanda

Lee Morgan - Lee Way

Jimmy Smith - Groovin' at Smalls Paradise

Grant Green - Idle Moments (I heard it was special, but now I'd say it was one of the greatest jazz albums ever made)

Ike Quebec - Blue and Sentimental

Evan Parker - Topography of the Lungs

Max Roach Mosaic

Guest the mommy

since i am using it for my icon, eddie daniels "brief encounter" surprised me with how good it is.

eddie daniels/andy laverne/rick laird/billy mintz??? in 1977 or is it 1978? sounds like a recipe for utter garbage but it works for me. sort of a very poor mans ECM-era return to forever at points.

MG, check out Maceo's "*Soundtrack" (it looks untitled on the cover) - I always preferred that one over the Planet Groove one. They do some old favourites (Knock on Wood, and the usual J.B. stuff - of course Wesley and Pee Wee Ellis are there, Larry Goldings is on organ).

Yes, I've got that one, too. A very good album, essentially similar to "Planet Groove". I think the title is actually "Maceo: soundtrack" - though I don't think the film has ever emerged. Looking closely at the spine, it says "Maceo Parker", then "Maceo", then MM801046. So I guess it's just called "Maceo".

MG