• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, HutchFan said:

I ordered two LPs from Dusty Groove today:

Ny0xNTEyLmpwZWc.jpeg

Music on Vinyl (NL), 180 gm reissue

Nice one! That's a great record.

17 minutes ago, bresna said:

Cannonball Adderley Quintet - Plus (Riverside) on the OJC CD. I still can't believe that I don't have this in my CD stacks somewhere. I'll probably find it a few days after I get in the one I just ordered. :)

Essential Cannonball :) Now you're at least sure you have a copy ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Found this LP at a nice price:

MC0yODQ4LmpwZWc.jpeg

Típica '73 - The Two Sides of Típica '73 (Inca, 1977)

and the Rearward-Schema CD reissue of:

NC03MjQ1LmpwZWc.jpeg

The Kenny Clarke-Francy Boland Big Band - Off Limits (Polydor, 1971)
One of the last albums by the CBBB -- and one of their best, imo.

I just preordered this year's holy grail archival jazz release, "Trane & Wes in San Francisco, 1961."
These are location recordings from Coltrane's engagement at the Jazz Workshop, where Wes Montgomery sat in with the band. It was presumed for years that there were no recordings of this collaboration, as none had turned up in the 60+ intervening years, so it was quite a surprise when the granddaughter of the fan who recorded one evening of the engagement on a Webcor miniature portable tape recorder discovered a carton in her recently deceased grandmother's attic in Walnut Creek with 3-inch reels in white boxes marked "Coltrane Sextet, Jazz Workshop."

The woman, Charlotte Weintraub, brought the tapes to the offices of the S.F. Jazz organization, where they were listened to by members of the education program who were startled by the find once they heard the guitar in the mix. Other jazz scholars weighed in and declared the tapes authentic.

I've heard that while not pristine, the recordings have quite serviceable audio, though lots of audience chatter and clinking glasses can be heard. The personnel is listed as Coltrane, Eric Dolphy, McCoy Tyner, Elvin Jones, Reggie Workman, and special guest Wes Montgomery. Among the tunes is a nearly 45-minute version of "Impressions," likely the longest performance of this composition until Coltrane's final group in 1966, as well as Montgomery's original composition "West Coast Blues." The release date for the two-CD set is listed as May 6.

May be an image of 2 people and people playing musical instruments

Please remember today's date.