What music did you buy today?

tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I've been "eyeing" those two Cadillacs too.  ;) 

Truth be told, I bought the 2-CD Mike Osborne Cadillac release on a whim...it seemed too good to pass up given I was already putting together an order from DG.

I really enjoy his playing, have just 2 discs with him as leader (one on Turtle* and one on Ogun), but several as sideman (mostly with Chris McGregor and Mike Westbrook).

*in this excellent and inexpensive set

Mi01Mjk2LmpwZWc.jpeg

NC05Mzk2LmpwZWc.jpeg

My daughter and I happened to be in Akron at the same time a record store was open.  I snagged these for a grand total of $12.  It ended up being a really nice, small haul.

OTktNDM4MC5qcGVn.jpeg

I always enjoyed Michael Feldman's show and wish I had attended a taping.

OS01NzkzLmpwZWc.jpeg

This is only my second Mariano album.  Now if only I could find the other one, which is another trio but with Philip Catherine instead of Mazur.

MS01OTk0LmpwZWc.jpeg

With Wallace Roney, Ralph Moore, Steve Coleman, Robin Eubanks, James Williams and Robert Hurst anf Kenyatte Abdur-Rahman.  I've seen them all except for Abdur-Rahman, who was new to me, and the Williams, whose early death was a terrible loss.

Ni01MjQxLmpwZWc.jpeg

Forman's recent Reunion!, in which he, John Clayton and Jeff Hamilton play their mentors' (Kessel, Brown and Manne) instruments, has become a favorite guitar album of mine.  With Bobby Hutcherson guesting and George Cables on piano, this was another great find.

Edited by Justin V

NS0yNTIyLmpwZWc.jpeg

I've meant to hear this one and was reminded to order it after confusing another fine Chicago pianist named John (Campbell) with Young.  

ODgtMjIyNi5qcGVn.jpeg

I finally bought an album by yet another Chicago pianist, Bob Dogan, whose work with vibraphonist Jim Cooper (including two albums with the great Ira Sullivan) I've enjoyed.  I was saddened to discover that Dogan died in February 2020.

13 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

Mike Melito "The Thing Is To Swing, " with Joe Magnareili, Grant Stewart,  et al. Nice choice of tunes -- two from Tommy Turrentine,  a medium-up "Lush Life" (surprislngy effective that way) "Straight Street"  etc.

👍 Yes, one of the best of recent issues IMHO.

• 3 weeks later...