How's the weather?

2 hours ago, Pim said:

So how cold is it over there in the States? We had some days below zero but now it’s the typically shitty Dutch winter weather here: 8 degrees celsius with some rain. And now sunlight for weeks to come. I hate it. 

I am guessing that Chuck is going to get it worst of all due to his location. Here in central Florida looking at one night under freezing and at least three nights total where it will be cold enough to necessitate blankets for the horses (which are really more accurately described as wind-breakers for horses). To clarify, Susan puts the blankets on them when below 40 F.

My wife will crank the heat and I will compensate by staying in t-shirt and shorts while inside.

Edited by Dan Gould

11 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

I am guessing that Chuck is going to get it worst of all due to his location. Here in central Florida looking at one night under freezing and at least three nights total where it will be cold enough to necessitate blankets for the horses (which are really more accurately described as wind-breakers for horses). To clarify, Susan puts the blankets on them when below 40 F.

My wife will crank the heat and I will compensate by staying in t-shirt and shorts while inside.

That’s pretty unusual for the Sunshine State isn’t it? Or does it happen more regularly?

39 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

27 minutes ago, Pim said:

That’s pretty unusual for the Sunshine State isn’t it? Or does it happen more regularly?

Couple of inches of snow on the ground here (a Chicago suburb) and zero degrees.

2 hours ago, Pim said:

No, for Central Florida this will be a very cold three day stretch ... supposed to be in the 80s though by next weekend!

Actually Florida is an interesting state, really three areas of fairly distinct weather.  North Florida, (Tallahassee) is about the furthest south where you get all four seasons. Thirty degrees in North Florida happens many times every winter.  South Florida is where it's warm to hot way more, with relatively few cold fronts in the winter. Central Florida where I am, definitely a longer period of Fall - Winter - Spring. It's nice to be in the area where cold fronts will cool things down, cold fronts that die out and never make it to south Florida.

1 hour ago, Chuck Nessa said:

6 or 8 inches so far, but the wind is so strong I can't see across the street through the sideways snow. Travel is forbidden in Buffalo and Eire County. Temp dropped from 39 to 12. Friends half an hour south have 2 feet.

Sounds like it could be worse Chuck. Hope that accumulation stays manageable.

It dropped to 17 degrees in Houston last night, with 40 mph winds.  Interesting night.  We covered all the bushes, and brought in anything that could be blown around.  The heating system can't really cope, because the houses aren't really built for this sort of weather, but we're doing OK.  Other neighborhoods have had sporadic outages when branches were blown against power lines, but overall the system is coping with power demand.  Right now it's 32 degrees.  It'll be cold the next two nights; next week it'll hit 70 again.

EPB, our public utility, cut off the power unexpectedly ay 7:39 am with the outside temperature being 8 degrees. TVA, its supplier, evidently ordered rolling blackouts.

At 8:10 am, they sent a text that they were doing controlled power outages for 10-15 minutes.

Fortunately, we added a whole house generator in 2020, a few months after the Easter tornados hit our area and we lost power for two days (which wasn't bad at all, considering many people were out of power for 10-14 days). So the utility loss was for 30 seconds at most.

It is now 9:15 and we are still getting power from our generator. So much for 10-15 minutes of an outage. Too bad if you don't own a generator and have a loved one hooked up to medical equipment...

Edited by Ken Dryden

We lost power last night . . . which gave us traumatic flashbacks of twelve total days two winters ago without power, heat, water when the weather was even a bit warmer. . . but it came back on again four minutes later to our relief.

Still no plows have come into our neighborhood and we've canceled a trip to the West side (about 50 minutes in normal weather) planned for this afternoon to see my brothers and their families.

This is a lonely Xmas now as both Lucy and I no longer have parents among the living. Sigh.

6 hours ago, BFrank said:

Chuck, I was going to ask how you guys are doing? Your city shows up on almost ever weather map this week!

Yeah and on the Dutch news as well as the place hit worst. But those temperatures aren’t very exceptional for that area are they? I have taught geography for a while and I am pretty sure Buffalo has a continental climate where it could become pretty cold during winter time.