Miles Davis - Columbia Box Sets

Uncle Skid

Jazzmatazz Upcoming Releases has the following Miles Davis Columbia/Legacy box sets listed:

• Miles Davis & John Coltrane - Complete Columbia Recordings - 6 CDs (Columbia/Legacy) May 4
  • Miles Davis & Gil Evans - Complete Columbia Studio Recordings - 6 CDs (Columbia/Legacy) May 11
  • Miles Davis - Miles Davis Quintet 1965-68 - 6 CDs (Columbia/Legacy) May 11
  • Miles Davis - Complete In Silent Way Sessions - 3 CDs (Columbia/Legacy) May 11
  • Miles Davis - Complete Bitches Brew Sessions - 4 CDs (Columbia/Legacy) May 11

All of these say "new edition with less expensive packaging (no metal spine)". I guess that metal spine was pretty expensive -- the 65-68 Quintet box is normally $95, the new edition is $49!! The new Miles/Coltrane edition is $53, the original one was also around $95.

Does anybody know more about these? Is the lack of a metal spine the only difference?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonder if the liner-notes will be easier to read?? The "color text on color background" in the "Miles & Gil" and "IasW" boxes was particularly difficult, to the point where you literally couldn't see what several words were -- because the color of the text was nearly identical to the color of the background.

I bit the bullet and spent money that I had but shouldn't have spent if I was a REALLY responsible individual buying up all the metal-spine edition sets over the last few weeks (I only had the Miles/Trane set previously), because

• I'm a geek.
  • The music is really that special to me and I wanted to have it as "deluxely" as possible while it was available in such a manner .
  • I just think that the metal spine is cool, if expensive.

Interestingly enough, finding the older sets at local retailers was not a particularly easy task. It seems that the "sendback" operation has begun in some places, which either means that you get them now if you want them, or that they will soon be clearance items at ridiculously low prices. Some things I'll gamble on, but this was not one of them.

Either way, they's some hellaciously good packages.

Edited by JSngry

Columbia people could be the world champions in marketing. After all the addicted (like me) bought it, they are going to sell it to the rest of the world. I am working in sales and I can learn something form Columbia.

:huh:

Indeed. I wonder if this type of marketing is planned way in advance, or if somebody realized that sales of these boxes had dropped off quite a bit, and only then decided to repackage and slash prices?

I never bought any of the metal spine boxes simply because it was much cheaper to buy the individual CDs. At this point, having a bunch of alternate takes and additional material isn't terribly important to me.

Now with these drastically reduced prices, I might have to go the box set route. The individual CD's I already have would make great gifts, especially for non-jazz loving family members!

I'm still surprised about the price of the new ones -- the same CDs for about half the cost of the originals!

Columbia people could be the world champions in marketing. After all the addicted (like me) bought it, they are going to sell it to the rest of the world. I am working in sales and I can learn something form Columbia.

:huh:

It's like the Sinatra leather Reprise box. (Deluxe version)

Cheaper version released later.

Capitol wooden box Sinatra set. (Deluxe version)

Cheaper version released later.

Columbia/Sony is not the only ones with marketing power.

1st Class.

Coach. :rolleyes:

Anybody know anything else about the new packaging? I just purchased, last week, The Complete Jack Johnson box (with the metal spine). I'd like to have The Complete Silent Way box. It looks like Amazon is still offering the original packaging on the Silent Way box.

I'd rather spend more money, if necessary, to purchase the nicer packaging/set. For me, the dollar cost is not the issue. Is it recommended that I purchase the original packaging before it's no longer available? Or, wait till only the new packaging is available? Or, indifferent?

Here's the email that went out in February:

+++

MILES DAVIS THE COMPLETE 1963-64 COLUMBIA RECORDINGS

Limited Edition Spine Box Set Series

Columbia/Legacy Jazz will soon stop producing the Miles Davis metal-spined box sets. Now is the time to purchase these Grammy-winning, deluxe collectors' editions, as they will no longer be available once our current inventory is finished.

We will soon be manufacturing these same sets without the metal spines, but with all of the same contents and attention to every facet of detail. Look for these specially-priced editions in mid-May.

Wait, hold on just a nose picking minute...IASW never had a metal spine, so why are they reissuing it?

BFrank: Thanks for the information. I may need to place my order for Complete Silent Way box soon.

What does dave9199 mean? The original Silent Way box didn't have the metal spine? :huh:

Interestingly enough, finding the older sets at local retailers was not a particularly easy task. It seems that the "sendback" operation has begun in some places, which either means that you get them now if you want them, or that they will soon be clearance items at ridiculously low prices.

I saw the Jack Johnson, IASW, Bitches Brew, and Coltrane metal spine boxes today at a local retailer. There may have been others there as well.

I'm not sure if the prices were reduced; the original (inflated book store) price tags were stilll on them.

I'll be getting some of these down the road. The "deluxe" packaging for the 4 cd set of "Bitches Brew" was an absolute nightmare.

I've never seen this packaging, except for, maybe, in pictures. What made it a nightmare?

I had to call Columbia customer service to have two of the four discs replaced. Glue from the sleeves got onto the discs making large portions unplayable.

I checked the HMV UK website just out of curiousity for prices on the forthcoming repackages and they stated that on the original boxes there was an 'Import Ban'.

I'm assuming that most other big chains will have this in force, therefore avoiding having to sell of the 'deluxe' boxes at sale prices.

It'll be interesting to see how the smaller shops with existing stock handle this.

What's the style of the packaging of the Complete Plugged Nickel box? I've never seen the Plugged Nickel box in a store. Never.

Is the Plugged Nickel box a full, record-sized box, such as the Mosaic boxes? Or, more of a slimmed-down, narrower-shaped type thing?