Miles Davis - Columbia Box Sets

Uncle Skid

For me, the most expensive of all the Miles box sets was the Gil Evans box. . . . I bought it on the day of release, sent the little post card off in the mail for one of the lithographs they were giving away to the first 300 responders, and never expected to be among the first 300 worldwide. Well, I was and a few months later I received the lithograph, promptly inspiring my wife to take it to the frame shop and have it triple matted beautifully framed to the tune of about 250 dollars. . . .

GULP. :huh:

It's been hanging in my living room ever since.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from Amazon:

Disc: 1

1. E.S.P.

2. R.J.

3. Eighty-One

4. Little One

5. Iris

6. Agitation     

7. Mood     

8. Circle   

9. Orbits     

10. Dolores     

11. Freedom Jazz Dance     

Disc: 2

1. Gingerbread Boy     

2. Footprints     

3. Limbo [Alternate Take]     

4. Limbo     

5. Vonetta     

6. Masqualero [Alternate Take]     

7. Masqualero     

8. Sorcerer     

9. Prince of Darkness     

10. Pee Wee     

11. Water Babies     

Disc: 3

1. Nefertiti     

2. Capricorn     

3. Madness [Rehearsal]     

4. Hand Jive [First Alternate Take]     

5. Hand Jive [second Alternate Take]     

6. Hand Jive     

7. Madness [Alternate Take]     

8. Madness     

9. Sweet Pea     

10. Fall - Miles Davis Quintet     

11. Pinocchio [Alternate Take]     

Disc: 4

1. Pinocchio     

2. Riot     

3. Thisness     

4. Circle in the Round     

5. Water on the Pond     

6. Fun     

7. Teo's Bag [Alternate Take]     

8. Teo's Bag     

Disc: 5

1. Paraphernalia     

2. I Have a Dream [Rehearsal]     

3. Speak Like a Child [Rehearsal]     

4. Sanctuary     

5. Side Car I     

6. Side Car II     

7. Country Son     

8. Country Son [Alternate Take]     

9. Black Comedy [Alternate Take]     

Disc: 6

1. Black Comedy     

2. Stuff - Miles Davis Quintet     

3. Petits Machins     

4. Tout de Suite [Alternate Take]     

5. Tout de Suite     

6. Filles de Kilimanjaro

Edited by 7/4

Thanks, jazzbo and 7/4.

Incidentally, both of these boxes say "24-bit remastering". I didn't even notice that until I saw Clem's thread on that subject. I have no idea if these will sound any better, but my single CD copies of Miles Smiles and Nefertiti both say "20-bit".

Regardless of the number of bits involved, it sounds great to me! B)

For me, the most expensive of all the Miles box sets was the Gil Evans box. . . . I bought it on the day of release, sent the little post card off in the mail for one of the lithographs they were giving away to the first 300 responders, and never expected to be among the first 300 worldwide. Well, I was and a few months later I received the lithograph, promptly inspiring my wife to take it to the frame shop and have it triple matted beautifully framed to the tune of about 250 dollars. . . .

GULP. :huh:

It's been hanging in my living room ever since.

Lon sounds cool - which shot is it?

So... how many of you (who already have these sets) are considering these new reissues? Garggg!!! I wasn't going to buy these, but they look so good.

I have the original 'In A Silent Way' metal-spined box. I'll not be buying a copy of the same music just for new packaging. The music (remastering) is the same as the original box, I believe?

I do prefer the more practical CD holders of the new packaging. The original box has the CDs crammed into some paper liners at the back of the metal-spined booklet. On the other hand, the original box is still very nice.

Edited by wesbed

If Sony indeed used new DSD archive tapes (converted to 24Bit PCM for CD release) for the new sets, they could have released the sets as hybrid SACDs, although the price would probably be higher.

Another sign that Sony has abandonned the new format.

If Sony indeed used new DSD archive tapes (converted to 24Bit PCM for CD release) for the new sets, they could have released the sets as hybrid SACDs, although the price would probably be higher.

Another sign that Sony has abandonned the new format.

I wouldn't count on it. They'll probably have another release next year on SACD. How else will they get you to buy it a fifth time? :rolleyes:

I have the original 'In A Silent Way' metal-spined box.

Guess again! ;)

Is it not the original? Oh well... it was 'the original' in my colletion of CDs. The first 'In A Silent Way' metal-spined box that I'd ever seen. :(

Edited by wesbed

You have a metal-spined IASW box for real? This is the first I've heard of such a creature!

Not saying that you don't, but every IASW box that I've seen has had a non-metallic spine (the only one of the series so far that has not had the metal spine), so if yours really does have a metal spine, you've got yourself a jimdandy humdinger of a collectors item!

You have a metal-spined IASW box for real? This is the first I've heard of such a creature!

Not saying that you don't, but every IASW box that I've seen has had a non-metallic spine (the only one of the series so far that has not had the metal spine), so if yours really does have a metal spine, you've got yourself a jimdandy humdinger of a collectors item!

Whoops! :o

No, you are correct. The 'In A Silent Way' box does NOT have the metal spine. It's the 'original' without the metal spine. I got it confused with the Jack Johnson metal-spined' box.

So... how many of you (who already have these sets) are considering these new reissues?

Garggg!!! I wasn't going to buy these, but they look so good. :P

Not me. I've got all the metal-spine versions, and I'm sticking with them. The only drawbacks are that occasionally it's pretty hard to read the text of the liner-notes (when the background color nearly matches the color of the text, for a few words here and there). But, other than that, I'm pretty happy with them.

The only positives I see about the new versions is that the liner-notes look to be quite a bit easier to read.

But, I'm firmly in the camp that prefers box-sets to be made up of a bunch of jewel-boxes, or some kind of packaging that lets me file the box in with the rest of my CD's*. (Meaning they're not more than one inch taller than the height of a standard jewel-box.)

These new Miles boxes, like the Herbie BN box, are a real pain in the ass -- as far as how you go about filing them.

* For the record, this DOESN'T mean I like the Bill Evans Complete Verve packaging. But the metal-spine Miles boxes aren't nearly that bad.

But, I'm firmly in the camp that prefers box-sets to be made up of a bunch of jewel-boxes, or some kind of packaging that lets me file the box in with the rest of my CD's

This is a good point and, now that I think about it, the reason I would prefer the metal-spined boxes. I like that I can place them on the shelf with the rest of my Miles Davis CDs since the metal-spined boxes are about the same size as a regular CD case.

I do like the looks of the new packaging, too, for ease of reading and the CD snap-in storage. The new packaging provides for more of a 'true' CD holder. Whereas, the original packaging offered only cardboard/paper inserts to store the CDs. The original packaging doesn't provide for a 'good' way to store the CDs. Especially when you consider that the original packaging was not a frugal investment.

I really like the new sets (especially the book), but my favorite packaging is the Plugged Nickel and Blackhawk sets. They sit on the shelf with all the other CDs, in normal jewel boxes.

I'll just have to put the new ones with the Mosaics, I guess.

(the Mosaics are hidden under the desk -- I'm sure I don't have to explain why...) :ph34r::w

Edited by Uncle Skid

(the Mosaics are hidden under the desk -- I'm sure I don't have to explain why...)  :ph34r:  :w

I think, after you get enough Mosaics in your pile, nobody really knows if you've added more to the stack. But, I could be wrong. <_<

I used to think that...

but now I have to many PILES. :g

I think, after you get enough Mosaics in your pile, nobody really knows if you've added more to the stack. But, I could be wrong.    <_<

:lol::tup

Hey, that's a good observation!!

That strategy has worked pretty well for the regular CD's (especially when they are not organized very well), but I hadn't thought about that for the box sets. The problem is I only have three Mosaics, so it's pretty obvious when a new one is added. I guess I need to buy a bunch more so that won't be an issue anymore.

... let's see, there's the JJ Johnson, the two Vee-Jays, Tal Farlow coming up, .... :w

Thanks, jazzbo and 7/4.

Incidentally, both of these boxes say "24-bit remastering". I didn't even notice that until I saw Clem's thread on that subject. I have no idea if these will sound any better, but my single CD copies of Miles Smiles and Nefertiti both say "20-bit".

Regardless of the number of bits involved, it sounds great to me! B)

Oh shit, so we have to replace our original boxes... ;)