vinyl storage options

Did anyone happen to see a particular program on tv this past saturday (reran on sunday); on HGTV I think.

A home design team was helping a couple with their living space. The husband had a substantial LP collection, and the solution was very appealing. They installed drawers with heavy duty sliders. Each drawer appeared to be able to hold around 75 LPs, and the entire cabinet seemed to have at least 15-20 drawers.

Yes, I know that isn't enough drawers for some collectors in these parts (sangrey), but it was an attractive option (probably expensive too, unless you tackled the construction yourself.

Record spines and books alike can be an attractive addition to a living room.  Baffling that so many people hide them while leaving dreadfully ugly plastic boxes (read: television sets) in plain view...

Brandon, I totally agree! There is something very appealing about a nice organized set of same label LPs all lined up, especially those labels that are easily identifiable by the spine - even from across the room! Impulse comes to mind first.

Program television is an evil appliance when misused. I think I could live without the garbage that is shoveled up on a daily basis. I do like a few channels though. These come to mind:

The History channel

Natl Geographic network

Discover

PBS

TVland (gotta feed my Andy Griffith jones somewhere!)

ESPN

BBC

I agree. Books (and records) DO furnish a room.

I recently got the boxed set of The Bob Newhart Show. One thing that struck me on seeing it again after all these years: Bob and Emily have lots of books and records in their apartment. I'm trying to think of another show where this is true. No wonder this show resonated with me when I was a kid.

I agree. Books (and records) DO furnish a room.

I recently got the boxed set of The Bob Newhart Show. One thing that struck me on seeing it again after all these years: Bob and Emily have lots of books and records in their apartment. I'm trying to think of another show where this is true. No wonder this show resonated with me when I was a kid.

What this current tv generation will relate to is Jerry Seinfeld's cereal boxes all lined up. :P

I did happen upon that. I don't give the marriage much longer. Her mention of "Goodwill" as alternative storage was the tip-off.

Mike

LMAO

That set-up sounds very, very expensive. I wonder if the sliders will hold up long term. Could he get at, and view the LP's easily?

I did happen upon that. I don't give the marriage much longer. Her mention of "Goodwill" as alternative storage was the tip-off.

Mike

LMAO

That set-up sounds very, very expensive. I wonder if the sliders will hold up long term. Could he get at, and view the LP's easily?

I don't think that drawers would be the solution.

It's not whether the drawers would be on strong enough runners, but how difficult the albums at the very back of the drawers would be to access to remove them easily.

I agree that the spines of LPs are not unattractive in a room setting. Much as a library of book spines add to a room, they also do.

One solution I found to be interesting is a series of retangular sturdy wooden boxes, slightly taller than the albums and slightly [about an inch or so] less deep than the albums. This allows for easy removal of individual albums, while supporting their weight also.

The boxes are on their sides, with the open side at the front, enabling them to be stacked, as many as three high.

They should be solid wood, not particle board, and not too long. You can line them up side by side, placing the second row on top of the first and so on, as your record collection grows. If the boxes are sturdy enough, you could probably stack them three or even four high and the length would be determined by the space you have avaiable.

Edited by patricia