"The Devil's Horn" ...

I am not sure if this has been mentioned on here before ... I have missed a lot of time on this list recently.

As a very amateur alto player (I still own a lovely Mark VI), who never gets to play these days, I was very intrigued by a new book, THE DEVIL'S HORN: THE STORY OF THE SAXOPHONE FROM NOISY NOVELTY TO KING OF THE COOL, by Michael Segell (Farrar, Strauss and Giroux, 2005 -- $25.00). I was a little leery of it from initial reviews, but once I started reading it, it was hard to interrupt my enthusiasm to go back to more important writing chores. Segell was able to get a great deal of insight from current jazz musicians such as Branford Marsalis, Joe Lovano, and Lee Konitz (particularly interesting IMHO), about the relationship between the instrument to the player. Despite fooling around wih saxophones for nearly fifty years, I was never aware of how "alive" they are, and how the instrument can literally change in tone and playing quality from day to day. I guess i should have spent more time playing, and less time reading! I highly recommend this book ...