Jamie Saft Trio - Trouble (Tzadik)

ornette

Very disappointing. Mainly because some of the songs chosen do not have strong melodies and are not well known (God Knows, Trouble, Dirge, Disease of Conceit). In addition one of my least favourite vocalists - Mike Patton - does one of my least favourite songs - Ballad of a Thin Man. Anthony of the Johnsons does 'Living the Blues' well enough but this is not really a Dylan song, despite being credited to him (it was on Self Portrait). A personal favourite, Dignity, defeats the band, again because there is no melody to work with.

The two Jewels and Binoculars discs on Ramboy remain the best 'jazzers do Dylan'.

Edited by ornette

If you haven't already heard it, don't let this Dylan album dissuade you from checking out the Saft Trio's previous Tzadik album, "Astaroth: Book of Angels Vol. 1" (Zorn tunes). That's one of the very best piano trio records I've heard in ages and one of the few albums that truly sticks out in the recent mind-numbing flood of Zorn Masada releases. Really brilliant music from Saft, Perowsky and Cohen.

nathan

p.s. - my favorite Dylan jazz version is Marty Ehrlich's great take on "Blind Willie McTell" on his album "Sojourn".

Edited by nathan

If you haven't already heard it, don't let this Dylan album dissuade you from checking out the Saft Trio's previous Tzadik album, "Astaroth: Book of Angels Vol. 1" (Zorn tunes). That's one of the very best piano trio records I've heard in ages and one of the few albums that truly sticks out in the recent mind-numbing flood of Zorn Masada releases. Really brilliant music from Saft, Perowsky and Cohen.

nathan

big harrumphs to that one! :tup

(is that nathan from the ol' BNBB?)