Charlie Mariano discography

EKE BBB

scan of the water is life cover, though not all the information you need (and unlike luminaries like Heinz Rudolf Kunze and Howard Carpendale, Mariano is not among the ca 20 artists mentioned on the cover ?! or is there another single...)

http://www.bap-total.de/single/waterislife.html

:) great site!

Thanks for the link, Niko - I'm glad you like the site :)

I guess the cover lists only bands and singers, and no instrumentalists. For most people who bought this recording Charlie Mariano will have been a dark horse, anyway.

• 5 months later...

Last night I listened to a wonderful concert at the Theaterhaus in Stuttgart. Charlie Mariano, Philip Catherine, and Jasper van't Hof re-united after circa 40 years to play a 70 minutes set plus encore. It's been Charlie Mariano's first performance after his chemo therapies. He is still weak, so he had to take a short nap backstage after the rehearsal, and he played the whole set sitting on a chair. But his sound is strong and beautiful as ever. Jasper, Charlie, and Philip apparently enjoyed playing a bunch of original compositions they all are familiar with. The audience not only enjoyed the music - most listeners were familiar with, too - but also had the pleasure to watch three musicians who obviously enjoyed playing together again a lot.

After the set Charlie met some friends at the restaurant for a little snack and a drink. Unfortunately I didn't meet Philip Catherine (which I would have loved...) but I met guitarist/composer Thorsten Klentze - who performed and recorded with Charlie, and I had a nice conversation with Jasper van't Hof. He remarked that Charlie's sound - at some moments - strongly reminded him of that fire and intensity captured on Charles Mingus' "Black Saint And The Sinner Lady."

I'll cross my fingers! Let's hope that Charlie Mariano is able to continue to perform, and - hopefully - some more of his unique playing will be captured for further listening.

Here are some pictures taken after the encore and after the concert.

porkpie.jpg

20080502_aaj1.jpg

Yes, it's been that much fun for all of us this evening.

20080502_aaj5.jpg

20080502_aaj7.jpg

After the concert at the restaurant: Charlie Mariano with a friend.

20080502_aaj8.jpg

Charlie Mariano enjoying a (delicious!) Thai soup. Left: guitarist/composer Thorsten Klentze

who recorded with Charlie Mariano and who came from Munich to see him.

20080502_aaj9.jpg

Charlie Mariano with Werner Schretzmeier, founder and director of the Theaterhaus.

Edited by hepcat1950

• 6 months later...