AOTW January 2-9

B. Goren.

It is my pleasure to select the first AOTW of 2005. After thinking it over and listening to the various options, I've selected Marilyn Crispell's "Gaia" for the week of January 2.

Marilyn Crispell is one of my favorite artists among the contemporary jazz musicians. She is not only original but one of the most creative forces on the jazz piano and a great improvising musician. Crispell's music is not easy listening music. Her music is very challenging and when I listen to her I must be very concentrated and listen to every note she plays. Her improvisational approach is so personal that I believe it is not difficult to identify her playing on a blindfold test. I am familiar with most of her recordings for Leo and there is no doubt in my mind that Gaia is one of her best. During her career (BTW: she has started to play jazz only when she was 28!) she collaborated with many great musicians. With Reggie Workman Crispell had a fruitful partnership and this is another reason why Gaia is my AOTW. Doug James is on drums on this session and he is also doing a perfect job. Marilyn Crispell was influenced mainly by two great musicians: Cecil Taylor and John Coltrane. Taylor's influence is much stronger on Gaia. The session starts with a long whispering piece that takes over 5 minutes to get going but takes off when it does and than we can hear Crispell at her best: very dynamic and intense . Reggie Workman is surprisingly audible even when Crispell reaches maximum volume and intensity, and he is as sensitive an accompanist as ever.

Please let me know your comments. I would like to know what you think about Gaia and any other Crispell's recordings.

crispell_gaia.jpg

This is a recording I feel I'd probably enjoy and ought to have or, at least, heard. Somehow I've never got around to it. I imagine it doesn't have a lot in common with Crispell's recent work on ECM which I've found very enjoyable. I'll look forward to reading more comments about this disc.

Marilyn Crispell's recordings on ECM have nothing in common with her recordings on Leo or on Music & Arts. I think on ECM she has a good opportunity to display another side of her musical personality. Personally, I prefer her Leo and Music & Arts recordings. Her best recordings (IMHO) on Music & Arts are Any Terrain Tumultuous with Francois Houle (clarinet) and Connecting Spirits with Joseph Jarman.

Any Terrain Tumultuous

Connecting Spirits