Classical Corner

Muskrat Ramble

I see that some other folks here dig classical music. It's been a love of mine for a long time now. What sort of stuff do you all like?

I've been re-listening to Beethoven's symphonies for the first time in a while, specifically Nikolaus Harnoncourt's set with the Chamber Orchestra of Europe on Teldec. This set was showered with hosannas of praise when it was released a decade or so ago. It's hardly the be-all-end-all of Beethoven sets, but it is really fine.

Harnoncourt plays down the joie de vivre and humor of the symphonies in favor of Beethoven's stern and serious side. While Harnoncourt's approach lacks some desired warmth, he excels at highlighting the awesome rhythmic drive of these works. The fast movements are exciting--even thrilling--and the overly familiar 5th symphony feels wonderfully fresh and vital here, with the first and third movements steeped in intensity and ferocity without any sort of exaggerated wildness.

With his emphasis on short, punchy, repeated rhythmic themes, Beethoven has often sounded to me like a sort of spiritual antecedent to heavy metal. These recordings really highlight the connection. But if you don't like heavy metal, don't worry: it's still good old Ludwig! The recordings themselves sound a bit too dry and raspy for my tastes, like they've been scoured down with fine-grit sandpaper, but the performances are definitely worth hearing.