Evan Parker, Alex Von Schlippenbach, Paul Lytton

May 14 - Evan Parker, Alex Von Schlippenbach, Paul Lytton at Seattle Asian Art Museum. Volunteeer Park. Improvisors workshop at 4:30pm, concert at 8pm

I'm so excited! I've always wanted to see Alex Von Schlippenbach live! Never thought he'd make it out to Seattle. But with Barry Guy's mother ill, he graciously volunteered to replace him in the trio. Woo-Hoo!!!

Guest Mnytime

Your gain my loss it seems. They where going to play San Diego this last weekend May 11-13. I was planning on seeing them all 3 nights. But for some reason without Guy they changed the dates so no San Diego dates now. Not sure why they just didn't play the same booked dates that they had with Guy. It would have been my first time seeing any of the 4 musicians. :angry::angry::angry:

I understand on some dates Schlippenbach has been doing solo performances of Monk before the trio plays. Would have loved to see that.

Edited by Mnytime

WOW!!!!!! Incredible! Solo piano Monk medley, 20 minute circular breathing soprano solo, toys and drums bangin' and a whalin'. These gentlemen are some of the finest improvisers on the planet. I attended a workshop they gave earlier in the day. I got to play with Evan Parker and have a little chit chat!!! WOW!!!!!

Not particularly. But he was very thoughtful and gracious. He talked about whether or not Improvisation has a history, or whether by its very nature it is void of a past and only has a present and possibly a future. He talked about phrasing and how important it is to have a very personal style. He also talked about how he felt there is a boom going on among young people interested in playing and listening to Improvised music. The "Thurston Moore Effect" I believe he called it. Henry Kaiser flew up from the Bay area to see the show and hang out with the guys. He took part in the workshop and had some good things to say. Henry’s a very positive guy. If I think of more I'll post.