35 mm slide scanning

Stashed away in some boxes are a couple of thousand color slides that I shot in Russia, China, Mongolia, Hong Kong (Bottoms Up Club anyone? ;) ) Thailand, East Germany, Poland, etc..in the early/mid 80's and would very much like to transfer them to cd. Mostly 200 Ektrachrome...some Fuji & Agfa with an OLYMPUS OM-1. Anyone have any experience using any of the 35 mm film scanners that have appeared on the market? ...Canon, Minolta, Kodak, etc... ? Any kinks? Good time to take the plunge or better to wait a few more years?

My HP scanner will scan 35mm slides but I haven't used it for that. I have a friend that scans some of mine for me as he has a digital ICE scanner which automatically removes dust and scratches; actually makes them look like new. I have a ton of old slides and transparencies from the 70's/80's that we have "restored" this way. Most professional labs, including many one-hour labs have this equipment and could scan them to disc for you, but not sure of the cost. I hope this helps!

Mark

This is not much help as I have never done it, but.....

Do you want pro results or to just get results good enough to post on-line?

I've seen incredable results from both film negs and slide scans. These were done by pros who were expert with the software. Results by amatuers were across the spectrum, from terrible to just ok.

I have a feeling it is not so much the scanner but learning the software. One of the Photoshops seems to be the most popular. Some scanners come with good software while others do not.

I've looked at film neg scanning/printing quite a bit and decided it would still be cheaper/better to have a lab do it. I can get 8x10 custom prints done for much less than I could do it myself.

Also, the learning curve on the software was overwhelming to me.

Edited by wolff

I have a couple of lower-priced (under $400) dedicated slide scanners (one is Olympus), but neither gives me satisfactory results. Far better is my Epson 2550 PHOTO scanner, which I use in combination with Photoshop. I have scanned hundreds of old slides, dating back to the early 1950s and Photoshop makes minor "repairs" a breeze.

Once you have the scans, arranging them in a reasonable, accessible order and moving them to a DVD is very easy with Mac's iDVD application--I'm sure there is something equivalent for the poor man's Mac :g