What tune is this?

Big Wheel

I woke up with it in my head this morning and I can't remember the name. Looked through my CDs and nothing rang a bell. The only things that come to mind are something with Lee Morgan and maybe Hank Mobley...I checked THE RAJAH, my best guess, and it's not on there...

The melody starts around a major triad...I'll just pick D even though I'm not sure what key it's actually in...

Moderate Brazilian-type groove

D

F# A A F#

D' F#' F#' D

E' G' E' G (a leap of a sixth down)

The harmony is, I think, just a vamp between Gmaj7 and Amin7 for those first 8 bars, but then there's a brief key change in the second 8 before heading back to the first key.

Edited by Big Wheel

BW, I'm trying to get a handle on this, but I'm not hearing anything recognizable yet. Being that I'm an ear player, you're probably more advanced than I am in terms of notation and theory, so please bear with me.

Is this the melody line: F# A A F# D' F#' F#' D E' G' E' G

What does an apostrophe indicate?

Ah yes. One of my favorite tunes! The chords (in G) in the opening are Gmaj7 and G#7-5.

I had a feeling the apostrophes were indications of octave changes. Is it just me, or did you forget one on that last "D"? I've been in the habit of going:

D

F# A A F#

A F#' F#' D'

E' G' E' G

This is how Bud Shank and Fischer did it on Pacific Jazz (the most "colorful" version I've ever heard, although I love Jack Wilson's version too).

FWIMBW, this is what I have on file:

PENSATIVA (Clare Fischer)

F#maj7 G7b5 F#maj7 G7b5

llll llll llll llll

F#maj7 Eb7#9 Dmaj9 G#7

llll llll llll llll

Gmaj7b5 F#m7 B7 Em7 A7 Dm7 G7 (or Am7/Am6)

llll ll ll ll ll ll ll

1. G#m7 C#7b9 F#maj7 C#7+9

llll llll llll llll

2. G#m7 C#7b9 F#maj7 C#m7 / C#m6

llll llll llll llll

Bridge:

Cmaj7 Am7 Dm7 G7

llll llll llll llll

Dm7 G7 Cmaj7 Cmaj7

llll llll llll llll

C#m7 F#7b9 Bm7 E#7b9

llll llll llll llll

Amaj7 G7+5 Dm7 G7

llll llll llll llll

Edited by Jim R

Ah yes.  One of my favorite tunes!  The chords (in D) in the opening are Gmaj7 and G#7-5.

I had a feeling the apostrophes were indications of octave changes.  Is it just me, or did you forget one on that last "D"?  I've been in the habit of going:

D

F# A A F#

A F#' F#' D'

E' G' E' G

This is how Bud Shank and Fischer did it on Pacific Jazz (the most "colorful" version I've ever heard, although I love Jack Wilson's version too).

Oops, I did forget the last D should have had an apostrophe. The Real Book has that A where I thought there was a D, though knowing the Real Book...it's possible they made a mistake, too. The funny thing is that I WAS hearing this in the original key of G flat, not G--but I changed it to G so that it would be easier to write and read on the board.

The only version I really remember hearing of this tune was on Blakey's Free For All--I only have an mp3 of it, which explains why I couldn't find it in my collection.

Edited by Big Wheel

I edited my post above to indicate that those opening chords are in the key of G, not D. I always play it in G flat.

Besides the Jack Wilson version on RAMBLIN' (Vault / Fresh Sound), I also have it on:

Bill Evans- The Complete Fantasy Recordings- Fantasy

Ed Bickert- Bye Bye Baby- Concord

Heiner Franz- A Window To The Soul- Jardis

Marian McPartland- Live At Yoshi's Nitespot- Concord

Marian McPartland- Live At Shanghai Jazz- Concord

Art Blakey- Free For All- Blue Note

Bud Shank- Bossa Nova Years- Ubatuqui (Pacific Jazz)

J.T. Meirelles e Os Copa 5- O Novo Som- Dubas

Various Artists- FORMA / A Grande Musica Brasileira- Polygram (Luiz Carlos Vinhas, pianist)

Jim, do you have the Sher Music fakebook with Pensativa in it? It's the first one of that series they put out, I think. I've always felt those changes were the most accurate, epsecially on the bridge, which I've learned different than the one you posted. Plus a couple spots on the A section.

Not to say your Shank version is wrong or anything, just that you might be interested in checking some alternates out. :)

I think these are the changes used on Free For All.

Edited by Free For All

Jim, do you have the Sher Music fakebook with Pensativa in it? It's the first one of that series they put out, I think. I've always felt those changes were the most accurate, epsecially on the bridge, which I've learned different than the one you posted. Plus a couple spots on the A section.

Not to say your Shank version is wrong or anything, just that you might be interested in checking some alternates out. :)

I think these are the changes used on Free For All.

No, I don't have any fake book version, actually. My changes are just my interpretation, not really based on any one version. I'm sure Mr. Fischer would probably not approve. :) If I was going to try to learn an "accurate" version (and if I played piano instead of guitar, AND if I had more reading/writing skill), I would definitely try to emulate Fischer on that Shank date for PJ (the original recording, afaik).

My brother and I had an e-mail exchange about this tune awhile back, and he gave me some ideas which I haven't fully explored yet. There's also a reference to the fact that Fischer objected (I think) to the Hubbard / Blakey (?) changes:

I went back to the Clare Fischer web link and took another look at the "turnaround" with the controversial changes. Actually it isn't what I would call a turnaround, but measures 9-12 where you call out Gmaj7b5 etc. The boppish version goes G6,9,+11 (which I like; the +11 is the same as the b5 so it is essentially your chord) then two-fives at F#-B and E-A; this would lead naturally to Dmaj7, as in your change, but they show another two-five at D-G. The alternative approach shows Gmaj7 (clearly a mistake), then Dmaj, then Em, then Em/D. The Dmaj could be a Gmaj7b5 with the root dropped to F#. So the root movement goes from G to F# to E to D, then to C# for the final passage, while the harmony is basically Gmaj Dmaj Em.

I don't care for the two five at D-G. I like either Gmaj7b5 - Dmaj/F# - Em7 - Em/D, or Gmaj7b5 - F#m7 - B9 - Em7 - A9 - Dmaj7. The voicing I'm playing for Dmaj/F# sounds like Am; the Em/D sounds like Gmaj.

I also like Amaj7 - Bbdim in place of C#m7 - F#7b9, although either one works fine.

Again, FWIW. He and I tend to hear things similarly, but sometimes not...

Clare Fischer

I see on his website he has some books of his tunes as well as some other interesting things. Anyone out there have any of this stuff? I'm most interested in his book of compositions.

I've always thought of the FFA changes as accurate, but I guess I should check out the composer's version before I make up my mind. Still like the FFA version, though. :)

Edited by Free For All

I've always thought of the FFA changes as accurate, but I guess I should check out the composer's version before I make up my mind.

Well, I think Fischer would have to be the one to say what is "accurate". I don't see how there's any arguing with that. That doesn't mean that I think it's the only way to play it, of course. B-)

Here's an interesting page:

http://archive.keyboardonline.com/master/c...her/index.shtml

Nice link. Thanks, Jim. I might need to order some of his materials.

Of course I shouldn't have said "accurate". I think I meant the FFA changes just "feel" right to me, and I've never questioned their accuracy, assuming they were "authentic". Apparently the tune was "arranged"- BTW, who did that arrangement for FFA? I'm thinking it was Freddie.

I think I need to do a little homework!