Ori Kaplan - Le Magus

John B

Has anyone here herd this disc? I just finished listening to Gongol, by Kaplan's Percussion Ensemble and really loved the album. I looked him up on AMG and saw that Le Magus, from 2002 was his last release as a leader. The AMG review seems to spend more time stating what Le Magus isn't (too "out") rather than describe what it is, so I was hoping someone here could tell me if it is up to teh level of Gongol?

Don't do it, John. It's a truly mediocre recording. Yeah, it's interesting to hear Ori on bari, and it's interesting to hear Andy Bemkey on bass clarinet, but the writing is really subpar and the music's too polished.

There are only a handful of records in the last three years that are at Gongol's level anyway, IMHO.

Don't do it, John. It's a truly mediocre recording. Yeah, it's interesting to hear Ori on bari, and it's interesting to hear Andy Bemkey on bass clarinet, but the writing is really subpar and the music's too polished.

There are only a handful of records in the last three years that are at Gongol's level anyway, IMHO.

That is too bad. After listening to Gongol I was really hoping for another album written at the same level. Thanks for saving me a few bucks!