B. Marsalis "A Love Supreme"

Leeway

I understand that people are very protective of things they feel strongly about, and I am well aware that people feel strongly about ALS and I understand why they feel that way. I will not though put ALS or any other music up on an almost glowing, spiritual pedastal, like some people would. If you believe that ALS was "given" to Coltrane by God, that's fine, or that he was somehow inhabited by the holy spirit during the writing and recording of ALS, but that's a matter of your own faith. I think ALS is Coltrane's expression of his religious feelings through his art, and yes, it should be treated with respect, but I will not worship Coltrane, or his music, no matter how great it is, or what sort of "spiritual" vibes you may get after listening to it. Instead I will appreciate it for what it is and leave it at that, and let anyone else feel whatever they'd like to in that regard. It may be a great, even profound expression of one man's journey and his faith, but in the end it is still, to me at least, music.

Were he alive today, I think Coltrane would be appaled to know that there is (was) a "Church of Saint John Coltrane". To me, that's NOT what Coltrane was about, nor his music.

I don't think A LOVE SUPREME was given to John Coltrane by God. I think that A LOVE SUPREME was given to God by John Coltrane.

If you, or Branford Marsalis, or (edit: whomever) wants to pay homage to their God, they should do it in their own way. To reinterpret someone else's prayer is, well, not exactly praying is it?

Edited by .:.impossible

I don't think A LOVE SUPREME was given to John Coltrane by God. I think that A LOVE SUPREME was given to God by John Coltrane.

If you, or Branford Marsalis, or (edit: whomever) wants to pay homage to their God, they should do it in their own way. To reinterpret someone else's prayer is, well, not exactly praying is it?

As one of the few people who apparently HAS seen this DVD, I'll say, I don't think Branford is trying to use ALS as his religious statement, or anything of the sort. He's approaching it as a composition, he even says so, talks about it quite a bit in the commentary. ALS can stand on it's own as a piece of music. Branford's not doing anything to take away from what Coltrane did, or from his faith or anything of the sort.

BTW, Alice doesn't seem to be too "upset" about Branford playing her husband's prayer. I find that interesting.