Toshiko Akiyoshi

cannonball-addict

We read this chart in a rehearsal band I'm in that was badass. It was a bass trombone feature called "I Ain't Gonna Ask No More."

the sax soli was ridiculous - especially my 2nd tenor part (but that's always the case).

Does anyone know what recording this is/was on? And who did it feature on bass tb. If anyone has any versions of it I would very much like to know what they are (and might I dare say get a "burn").

I can imagine Dave Taylor playing it....

Happened to look at this LP today - the tune in question is actually a feature for contrabass trombone.

==========

The title of I Ain't Gonna Ask No More is a reminder of Toshiko's dues-paying days in New York when, after finding herself at the mercy of agents, she came to the point where this was her self-made resolution. "I decided that all I should care about is doing what I believe in, trying my best to devote all my energy to it, and letting everything else take care of itself."

Tabackin adds: "Phil Teele is very proud of the contrabass trombone he owns, so Toshiko thought she would write something for him to use it on. It's a fun piece, kind of tongue-in-cheek." Notable features are Britt's [Woodman] trombone solo and a couple of choruses of blues scored for the saxophone section in spread out five-part harmony. Toshiko points to Charlie Parker as a source of inspiration.

- notes by Leonard Feather

Mike