Your collection is insured, isn't it?

MartyJazz

I have a substantial collection and have moved several times over the years. I have never insured my collection, believing that it would be a major hassle to document everything for insurance purposes and, quite frankly, not wanting to have yet another insurance bill to pay. Yet, many people when seeing my collection for the first time will invariably assume that it is insured by asking the question expressed in the topic title. So who here has done it? If so, how much of a hassle was it? And also, what does the bill run?

My collection is insured as part of my my "flat content insurance". I do have an Excell ducument that should have documented my CD collection if it were up to date but, I regret to say that it is not up to date. In addition it doesn't say anything about my LP collection.

When I was asked about my collection (for insurance purposes) I gave rough estimates (about 2000 cd's and 500 LP's) - The collection has grown since.

I do not believe in the insurance of my collection because some of the items I have are very rare (which means that if anything happened to my collection it would be very hard to find some of the items I have).

I do not believe in the insurance of my collection because some of the items I have are very rare (which means that if anything happened to my collection it would be very hard to find some of the items I have).

isn't this an argument for insuring my collection. if i were to lose a hard-to-replace title, i'd want adequate compensation to make up for my loss. this would help me afford the high price of a replacement, or allow me to buy a several new titles.

First of all my collection is insured (I don't believe in insuring my collection but IT IS INSURED).

After saying that I would like to add that (I don't know how things work were you live but...) around here (Israel) I would get X shekels (local currency) per CD or LP I lost. If I loose my entire collection (God forbid) I would get the same amount of money for easy to find CD's as I would get for unreplaceable items. It would help me restart collecting again but I would finish the money I got a long time before I got back all that I have lost.

On top of that I don't believe that there are many local insurance agents who have enough knowlede to accurately estimate the real value of my collection...

If I do loose my entire collection I believe I would kill myself (That would be a much gentler solution).